FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

After about twenty minutes town driving I start to get a

Customer Question

After about twenty minutes town driving I start to get a knocking sound coming from the front drivers side. This stops when applying the brakes and starts again when driving off the knocking gets faster as the car increases speed
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. You need to double check that the wheel is properly torqued. If it is then you need to remove the caliper and make sure that the brake pads are securly clipped in. If the pads are loose then this will occur. Then reinstall and torque the caliper. If the noise continues youtu have a failing control arm bushing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already checked the pads are secure. This only occurs if I use the brakes a lot
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

If you use the brakes a lot and it only occurs after they are hot then you may have a warped rotor. Once a rotor warps it will constantly hit the pads and cause this noise while driving.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is not constant if I only do a short journey it doesn't happen
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

That will happen with a warped rotor. In some cases it takes quite a bit of driving to get hot enough to make this noise. It can also be an axle or engine mount issue but that is not as common.