FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

Audi A4 Quattro: Audi A4 2001 1.8 90k miles Manual transmission-

Customer Question

Audi A4 2001 1.8 90k miles
Manual transmission- original
Never any slipping but the clutch has released fairly high for a number of years
recently while driving in 2nd gear the car disengaged- tried to engage all forward gears but would not engage
Car was towed to garage far from where u live and the mechanic indicated that a spring disengaged and that while pushing the car it went back in and the car was now drivable. Indicated that car needs a new clutch as the spring forms part of the sealed transmission and that the spring will likely disengage again
look forward to your thoughts
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me if they said if this was the release bearing spring?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not indicate
Said it was not visible
And would have to remove the tranny to replace
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That is what it sounds like. The entire transmission needs to come out for this. if this is the case you should have the clutch replaced so you can avoid paying labor on this twice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Man I best to get a oe refurb or after market and if after market which one?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
I would recommend going with an OE clutch kit from Audi or if you would like I can recommend a good aftermarket kit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the mechanic told me the spring popped back in and the car is now driveable but not sure how long it will work for
Seems odd to me that it would "pop" back in- is this possible ?
Is this common?
He is still suggesting a new clutch as the whole tranny needs to be removed -and that the spring will likely fail again -
The car is 3 hours from my house and I am concerned that the workay not be necessary
Is it possible that the internal spring woild pop back in ?
If the clutch is to be replaced I am confused as to what to replace with
The dealer said a refurb is 1500 for the part alone
The parts quoted by the garage is a napa part and runs 500
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
I would not trust that the spring will stay in place. You need to replace the clutch to keep it from happening anymore. If they are recommending a Napa Gold clutch then those are good for your car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are not responding to my questions which I have asked twice
Is this scenerio likely
Ie that the spring would detach and reattach on its own
It does not sound logical to me and would like an answer
I get the sense that you don't know and that's ok we can ask another tech but I don't want to pay you 42.00 for a no answer and then 1500.00 for a clutch I may not need
Please answer the questions
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. I guess I missed that. It is not common for the spring to pop out and back in. Typically the spring fails and pops out of place and that is it. With pulling the transmission to keep it from happening again and with that many miles you should replace the clutch.