Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Audi Cabriolet: 2005 Audi A-3 convertible. Battery is dead…

Customer Question
2005 Audi A-3 convertible....
2005 Audi A-3 convertible. Battery is dead and when I jump it, it will start but the anti theft system starts up. After about 30 seconds it will stop but the car will eventually shut off after about 2 minutes. The battery was replaced about 2 years ago.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Audi
6/4/2015
Audi Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello
1st thing to do is charge the battery up overnight
as low battery voltage will give all sorts of issues and its likely to be just that - you may have to replace the battery if it won't hold a charge
Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.
if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement
Hi
do you still need help?