Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 audi a6 have a problem with the rear drivers door

window. it works using the...
2004 audi a6 have a problem with the rear drivers door window. it works using the rear door switch, but does not work using the drivers door switch. actually it will work going up with the drivers door switch but not down.
5/28/2015
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is ***** ***** this is caused bya broken wire in the rubber boot between the door and the body, have you checked the wires inside this boot yet?
no i have not. i will do that right now. ill let you know what i find in a little while
yes, let me know if the wires are not broken, we can check some powers,Tim
hi Tim,
no broken wires, unplugged everything from the kick panel pulled it through the door took off all the tape all the wires look good, i even gave them each a little wank to make sure
ok, now we need to check the wires in the drivers door, since the switch does not work both directions from that switch,Tim
it does take the window up but not down
i used another switch that is working from my other audi and it does the samething
yes, the switch reverses polarity on the 2 wires going to the rear switch, to go up or dowm, so the swith you replace was the front switch, not the rear, correct?
yes the front. the rear switch works fine
ok, at the front switch, there are 2 wires going to the rear switch, one is black with a green stripe and the other is green witha black stripe, one of these wires should have power when pushing up, and the other should have power when pushing down, do they?
ok, om my car the wires are black yellow and yellow. they both show 11 volts
i went through all the wires until voltage appeared when activating the switch
there was a black wire with green stripe it showed no voltage when i activated the switch
the black/yellow and the yellow wires have 11 volts when activating the switch?
yes
ok, at the rear switch, do you have 2 wires that get power, when activating the front switch?
yes, green yellow stripe and white with a black stripe
sorry, i'll get back with you i didnt check it right
let me know,Tim
ok i only have voltage going up not going down. sounds like a broken wire someplace
yes, there is a broken wire between the frnt swicth and the rear switch, what color is the wire at the rear switch that does have power when pushing up on the front switch?
yellow with a black stripe has power
ok, then the solid black wire is the one that should have power when going down, and it goes to the solid yeloow at the front switch, that is the wire you need to trace, it changes color from yellow to black at a connector in the "B" pillar, you could just run a new wire from the front switch to back, it may be easier than tracing out the harness,Tim
thank you very much Tim, i appreciate your help
Anytime my friend,Tim
If you need more help with this, dont hesitate to ask, and Please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, thanks in advance,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH