John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Audi certified at the dealership level with 14 years experience
20104412

Audi: My wife's Audi 2009 A-4 Cabriolet convertible recently

Customer Question

My wife's Audi 2009 A-4 Cabriolet convertible recently had a flat with two screws in the right rear tire. We followed the manual for jack points etc removed the center cover and lug bolt covers and loosened the bolts. Then jacked it up to gain ground clearance and completed removal of the bolts. Our plan was to remove the wheel completely to put cord plugs in the two punctures in the otherwise good tire. However the wheel simply would not come off the hub. We tried thumping the tire with a two pound sledge to no avail and even tapped the rim slightly(in order not to damage it)in hopes it would break free. No luck. Finally we installed the plugs with the wheels still mounted and reinflated and tested for leaks with soapy water. All tight and ready to go. However the question remains say in the even of a non repairable tire slash and we need to actually change it our for the full size spare that the vehicle has- what is the trick to get this damn thing off?
Category: Audi
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your vehicle
We have had this issue up in the PAC-Northwest. What happens is rust and dirt build up on the wheel hub and acts like glue. What we had to do was use a dead blow hammer (rubber hammer with sand in it) and beat them off the vehicle. I would recommend taking to a tire shop and have the tires rotated. When the shop rotates them, have them place anti-seize on the hub center ring. This well help you later down the road. The shop should only charge 1/2 hour.
I hope this answers your question
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
If you’re satisfied with this answer, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to rate my service accordingly, as this is how I get paid. Thank you
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Making a deposit doesn't pay me. If you’re satisfied with this answer, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to rate my service accordingly, as this is how I get paid. Thank you
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Okay
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.