Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Audi TT Quattro: When fuel tank is low, it is difficult to…

When fuel tank is low...
When fuel tank is low, it is difficult to start. Once it starts it is fine.
11/7/2014
Bryan, Technician
Bryan :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you today in answering your questions.

Bryan :

Its time to change your fuel filter, that would be my first suggestion

Customer:

Makes sense. My mechanic may have already done that; don't know. I will ask him, but if he has, any other suggestions?

Bryan :

what fuel do you use

Bryan :

87 89 91 93?

Customer:

Chevron premium.

Bryan :

when did you last change spark plugs?

Customer:

Never, that I know of.

Bryan :

ok so time for spark plugs and a fuel filter,

Bryan :

that's for sure

Bryan :

how many miles on the car

Customer:

How would a change of spark plugs cause the problem of slow start only when the tank of near empty? 70,000.

Customer:

is near empty.

Bryan :

spark plugs get full of carbon and lack of fuel coming from the tank when the tank is low combination makes starting when the car needs the most fuel it uses hard

Bryan :

you put more fuel in the engine to start than to run

Bryan :

so if the filter is clogged which it could be fuel filter should be changed every 30k at the most

Bryan :

and the spark plugs are dirty its going to be a hard start

Bryan :

another cause could be air induction have you had a throttle body cleaning ? this is usually only a hundred dollar service but saves you on gas mileage and these starting issues

Customer:

Oops. I will have my mechanic do that. He's good guy and knows a lot about Porsches, Mercedes and Audis but he is not a dealer mechanic. Not that I would trust them anyway. You have given me enough information, and I thank you.

Bryan :

also when its low and not starting to it misfire or have trouble starting

Customer:

Gotcha.

Bryan :

your welcome

Customer:

I basic price is $28, but I will give you an extra twenty. How do I do that?

Bryan :

when you go to rate me it will offer me the option for a bonus just type it in there

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** a great day.'

Bryan :

thank you very much

Bryan, Technician