Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 audi a8 base model my sunroof motor is making a noise while open and i dont know why will this kind...

i have a 2007 audi...
i have a 2007 audi a8 base model
my sunroof motor is making a noise while open and i dont know why
will this kind of work has to be done at the dealer?
or it is something i can do at home?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2014
John, ASE Certified Technician

John :

Thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your vehicle

John :

Is it making clicking rattling noise?

Customer:

yes like if it is not allthe way open and try over and over but it does it only while open

John :

It sounds like the track that the sun roof motor uses to open/close the sun roof. This is a very big job and would require the head liner coming down and then the sun roof frame

John :

if you pull the sun roof motor out you can inspect the motor

Customer:

so this is something the dealer has to do? or can be done at home?

John :

done at the dealership

Customer:

the noise is not continuos

John :

There are curtain airbags above the head liner

Customer:

is like this i open the sunroof and 30 seconds later it make the noise for 1 or 2 seconds then after 5 minutes again and on and on

Customer:

someone told me that i can just replace the motor and done with it

John :

you might be in luck....It might be the sun roof motor. The motor is the module and they are very easy to replace. It sounds like the motor is failing and you can do this at home

Customer:

can you show me how?

John :

you have to remove the dome light cover....there are 2 screws located behind the mesh screen.....once they are out it just pulls down. then you can see the motor.....the motor is held in by 3 screws

Customer:

ok and then?

John :

once you pull the motor out (make sure the sun roof is closed) then install the new motor.....simple

Customer:

ok great thanks and like you said i hope this is my lucky day

John :

Making a deposit doesn't pay me. If you’re satisfied with this answer, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to rate my service accordingly, as this is how I get paid. Thank you

Customer:

if i ever have any other questions about my car can i contact you or it has to be done to whoever is available?

John :

no you can request me direct....been working on these Audi's for awhile now

John :

but please take time to rate me

Customer:

and how can i do that?

Customer:

sure as soon as we finish i will do it with no problem

John :

when you open a question it will ask if there is a expert you want to use... then you can request me

Customer:

great thanks again

John :

no problem

John, ASE Certified Technician