Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Audi A4 Quattro: 1999 A4 2.8 fuel gauge: When gas level falls

1999 A4 2.8 fuel gauge: When gas level falls below half the gauge falls to zero. As I drive the needle bounces up and down between actual gas level and zero causing low fuel light and beep to go off. right now just an annoyance Any thoughts?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is caused by a bad fuel sending unit in the fuel tank, it is a simple reostat, and when they go bad, they will lose contact under a certain level, and will cause this bounce, you will need to replace the fuel sensding unit in the fuel tank, this is a common problem,Tim
The cost for the sending unit is 180 dollars and the labor is 1.4 hours to replace it, so about 120 for labor, depending on the shop rate,Tim