Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi A4 Quattro Avant: Hello,My name isXXXXX wife

Hello, My name isXXXXX wife...

Hello, My name isXXXXX wife has a 2008 Audi A4 (B7) Quattro Avant. Recently the HVAC air recirculate flap motor went bad. I would like to know if the dash would need to be removed or moved around to replace this part. Thank you,

10/6/2013
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

You only need to remove the glove box. Then the actuator is right there.

Thank you for your answer Anthony. I asked this because the dealership repaired this part under warranty, and afterwards the dash was rattling and I also noticed that the gap between the dash and the door on the right was 3 to 4 times larger than the gap on the left. I have a hard time believing that it would have come like this from the factory.

One Audi tech I spoke to who now works independently believes that you would have to undo some of the center console to replace this part. I took the car to the dealership for them to fix this gap and they actually made it worse as well as breaking part of the trim and losing a clip. The say if I want it fixed more, it would take the whole day to fix.

Are you sure it was just the recirculation flap motor?

The dealership invoice simply says "Customer Reports the AC Re circulation is inoperative. Install special ordered part." They did not specify the part name though.

Basically when I would press the recirculate button on the climate control system, it wouldn't work and air would come from outside. Maybe it was a part other than the recirculate flap that would affect this? I don't know. I am basically trying to sort of out the truth on why my dash was so different after this warranty service.

Hi Anthony, I am not sure if I should go further on these questions. I was expecting someone who specialized in Audi to answer the question as they tend to do things their own way. I don't know if you looked this up from information provided by Audi, are you sure that this would not require the dashboard to be moved around or removed?

Good morning.

I do know that the recirculation actuator is right behind the glove box and can be replaced without removing the entire dash. I do work on Audi cars very often and have my own way as well. Why they removed the whole dash is something that I cant answer to you. Thats why I opted out of the question.

I don't know if they removed the whole dash. That is why I am asking this question.

The dealer said they didn't need to move it, and that the dash being out of alignment was not something they did. Another tech says that you need to move it to get it out. The thing I do know is that the dash rattled and was out of alignment by a good amount on the right side after they worked on it.

I am not sure how this works, and what your opting out of the question means. I was just asking if you were sure because when I first posted the question on this site, I was under the impression I would be getting a response from one of the technicians that specialized in Audi and may have even replaced this part on an A4 (B6 or B7) before.

If you are sure that you do not need to take the dash out to replace this, I will take your word for it.

Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Hi Rachel. Thank you for clearing this up for me. The one big misunderstanding I had was that, when I initially asked the question, the site made it seem like I was going to get an Audi tech or expert to respond. I was looking for someone who works daily on Audis and would be able to answer the question with a high level of certainty.

There is a good chance Anthony's answer is correct, but I was not getting the sense of a high level of certainty on it. I thought that, due to the misunderstanding, it would be unfair to review him on this.

When I asked the question on the site, it showed Audi Techs like Audidoc, XXXXX XXXXX, and XXXXX XXXXX. Anthony backed out of the question, so I am willing to wait for another tech to answer this.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel

Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The gap that you are describing that is now present after the repair is at the glove compartment correct?Meaning one side of the door has a larger gap than the other correct?

This is correct.

The gap on the right is about three times larger than the gap on the left, and the top of the dash is also sitting a little bit higher on the right side.

Ok,What Anthony said was correct all that needs to be removed in order to replace the re-circulation actuator is the glove compartment.From the description of the appearance of the dash and the door the dash was removed anyway even though it was not called for.The reason for this most likely to gain more labor hours for the technician that performed the work or the technician somehow did not know you do not have to remove the dash for this job.As far as why the dash and door are in the condition they are now,it is simple the technician that performed the job either did not know what he was doing or broke something during the removal process.This statement "Customer Reports the AC Re circulation is inoperative. Install special ordered part." would indicate that it was in fact the re-circulation actuator that was replaced.The dealer telling you that they will need the vehicle for a day is correct,because they will have to remove the dash again and fix what is broken or install the dash properly which takes a while.The cost of this should be $0 to you and would fall on the dealer.

Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic

Thank you, Mike.

No problem,thank you.
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic