Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Audi S6: chirping sound from the driver side

Hello, I just got a 2011 S6. I have the same chirping sound from the driver side of the car when the A/C is on. Once i put the A/C off, the sound gose off in 3-5 secs. How can I explain this to the Audi Mechanic?

my car is making the same ticking, just from the driver's side

The best way to describe it is as a whirring noise that approaches a chug.

The sound is gone when i switch the A/C off.

Thanks for your help.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

If the noise is only there when the blower motor is running and it goes away when and takes a few seconds to quit then I believe its the blower motor to blame. Either the motor has bad bearings, or the squirrel cage blower wheel is hitting the HVAC box.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

So, the when the fan is ON and he A/C is off, no sound.

When the a/c is on, the chirping sound starts.

When the mechanic opens the hood, that sound cannot be heard due to the engine sound.

Hope with this extra data, you have some moe comments.

Thanks

Is this a chirp noise that chirps once about every 30-60 seconds, or is a continuous chirp?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A continuous Chirp. Goes away when A/C is switched off. (even with fan blower on)

Try this, get an assistant to spray the engine serpentine belt with a squirt bottle of water while your inside listening for the noise, does it stop for a bit when the belt is wet, if so then its belt slippage.

If you rev the engine does the chirp noise sound or speed change?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Chris,

No the sound does not change with the engine rev up.

Also, I found some links about this problem on the net. Just puting it out there for background Info.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/air-conditioner-noise-132109/

2000 A6 2.7T tip. When I am running the AC, there is a chirping drone. Pretty sure that the source is the compressor, but not sure that it's because of it. The noise goes away when I hit the ECON button, which turns off the compressor. The noise is not audible from the outside of the car and it's loudest at around 1,700 to 2,000 rpm. If anybody has had this problem before and has an idea or if there is a thread that I haven't found that someone could point me to, that would be great. Thanks for the help.

Most likely its a loose or bad tensioner. i suggest trying to tighten the tensioner some more. The AC tensioner is basically a pulley, and oneself is who installs the tension when its installed. this applies to the 1.8t, im not sure if the 2.8 is the same.

That is where is was going with both comments in my last post, can you try the water test?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris,

I am at work now, but will try this evening and let you know.

Best Regards.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chris,

Looked in under the hood. Cannot see any belt. The Germans have packed the engine compartment solid.

Don't know what else to do?

Thanks

There is a belt there, its on the front of the engine. Since you are planning to take it to Audi for repair, they will know how to do this test.

Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris
.
.