Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Audi A6 Quattro: I need to change the outer tie rod ends. This

I need to change the outer tie rod ends. This will be the first time they have been changed out. The C5 A6 has 110K miles on it. Is it typically necessary to change the inner tie rod end at this time? Any hints from your experience on changing these out. Thanks, Mark

Eurocar Inc :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can.

Eurocar Inc :

due to the outside elements the outer tie rod end seizes to the inner tie rod end .

Eurocar Inc :

chances to get them to turn is almost impossible and you cannot use heat to break them free due to the bellows boots of the rack and pinion . they would melt

Eurocar Inc :

recommendation replace both inner and outer tie rod ends with bellows boot clamps

Eurocar Inc :

lube the threads with an anti sieze compound and then assemble

Eurocar Inc :

after that to perform the alignment correctly must go to the audi dealer . there is a special jig to set the bump steer toe correctly

Eurocar Inc :

if not the vehicle may have a drift