Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi A6 Quattro: I have 4 airbag fault codes found in my 2005

I have 4 airbag fault...

I have 4 airbag fault codes found in my 2005 Audi A6 4.2 as follows: 0003 control module defective 01739 crash sensor for front airbag, passenger side. defective 01738 crash sensor for front airbag, drivers side, open or short to plus 01739 crash sensor for front airbag, passenger side, open or short to plus I went to an Audi dealer, and the technician told me that airbag module must be replaced first to see if the problem comes from the airbag module and/or the crash sensors. But many technicians from indy repair shops I went to told me that it is rare that airbag module has a fault, instead other problems, such as loose wiring/connectors, often create the problem. Is it possible that errors in crash sensors can create a fault code in airbag module? As the price of a new airbag control module is a lot expensive, I'm wonder if it is a good idea to go on to replace the current airbag module and see what's going to happen.

8/30/2013
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

Eurocar Inc : Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!
Eurocar Inc : Any module that has a 00003 fault for control module defective the module is defective and needs to be changed.
Eurocar Inc : Now on the other codes ,.... Was the vehicle
Eurocar Inc : involved in an accident ?
Eurocar Inc : Please any more info please comment
Eurocar Inc : thanks
Customer:

Thanks. The CarFax report has no accident records.

Customer:

Back to my original question, can it be possible that a 00003 fault for airbag module can be triggered due to loose wiring and/or connections? It looks that you are saying that all 00003 codes indicate internal faults of the module, requiring replacement.

Eurocar Inc : That is correct 00003 module defective means module replacement
Eurocar Inc : Now is there any other issues ?????? But that has to be replaced and coded to your vehicle and then retest
Customer:

Do you think airbag module replacement with software coding should be performed at Audi dealerships? I had a estimated quote from one of local Audi dealerships, but the price didn't make sense. I don't think it's not sort of DIY but want to try qualified local indy shops, if any.

Eurocar Inc :

the problem with indy shops is the scan tool. the modules are modular and specific information is about the car type, air bag level, etc. you have only a one time program . one mistake then module is no good. highly recommend the dealer to do this (no mistakes)

Eurocar Inc :

usually coding comes via internet from Audi server in Germany.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech