Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi A4 Quattro Avant: I need to change out my drive axle on

I need to change out...
I need to change out my drive axle on the drivers side, what tools/advice do I need?
2001 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.8L Man Transmission.
8/26/2013
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech

Eurocar Inc :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!

Eurocar Inc :

being that this is a manual transmission it is little harder to replace. the transmission mount bolts to the frame must be removed and the transmission needs to be shifted to the passenger side slightly to get the clearance

Eurocar Inc :

once that has been done then removal of the wheel is needed . then you will need either a 14mm allen socket or a 17mm allen socket to remove the bolt to hub. then there may be a shield above the inboard joint of the axle which is 6mm allen bolts (x3) then either 8 xzn or 10 xzn (triple square bolts) needs to be removed.(x6)

Eurocar Inc :

then the inner part of the axle needs to be shifted to remove the outboard joint from the hub assy.

Eurocar Inc :

then reverse order for assy

Eurocar Inc :

any questions?

Customer:

Are you 100% sure I need to move trans to complete job? I was looking for the exact tools needed because I will need to buy them and I don't want to buy what I don't need.

Roman
Roman, Technician

Hello , Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product.

You can look this up online, there are many write ups.

Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Mike, Technician
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE..

I have been asked to help you with your query as you have not been replied to at all.

Please let me know if you do indeed still need help with this.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.................................
Hello again -

This is MIKE once again.

As you have waited already some time - I decided to give you the info right now so that you have it with no further waiting.

This is to change the drivers drive axle on the front of your Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.8 - 2001 model.

Removing

- Remove wheel trim.

On light-alloy wheels use puller in vehicle tool kit to remove trim cap

- Remove collar bolt for drive axle.

WARNING: The vehicle must be standing on its wheels when loosening or tightening the collar bolt for the drive axle. Otherwise the risk of an accident exists.

- Remove wheel.

- Remove socket-head bolts -1- and disconnect drive axle from drive flange on transmission.
- Remove ABS wheel speed sensor wiring from retainer on brake caliper (arrow).
- Pull ABS wheel speed sensor out from wheel bearing housing slightly.

See this pic HERE to go with these instructs...

- Remove nut -1-, remove bolt and disconnect both links -2- upward.

CAUTION: Do not use a chisel (or similar) to widen the slots in the wheel bearing housing.
Do not loosen bolts -3- and -4-. Otherwise, the wheel alignment must be checked.

- Swing wheel bearing housing aside in direction of arrow.
- Remove drive axle.

Installing

- Install drive axle into wheel bearing housing and bolt it to drive flange on transmission.
- Install both upper links and tighten nut to 40 Nm (30 ft lbs)

When tightening, press upper links downward as far as possible.

- Fully tighten bolts connecting drive axle to drive flange on transmission.

M8 bolts: 40 Nm (30 ft lbs)
M10 bolts: 80 Nm (59 ft lbs)

- Push ABS wheel speed sensor into wheel bearing housing up to stop and insert sensor wiring into retainer on brake caliper.
- Install wheel.

- Install and tighten new bolt for drive axle.
M14 bolt: 115 Nm (85 ft lbs) + 1/2-turn (180°)
M16 bolt: 190 Nm (140 ft lbs) + 1/2-turn (180°)

WARNING: The vehicle must be standing on its wheels when loosening or tightening the collar bolt for the drive axle otherwise the risk of an accident exists.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

You need now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

I need to know the exact tools I need to take off the drive axle as I have to buy them beforehand and I don't want to buy unnecessary tools.

Thank you!

Greg

Hi there -

Thank you for your reply - This is MIKE..

My apologies that I could only just return to you --

I can fully understand what you are saying - that makes complete sense.

When you use manufactures instructions for any given job, they always list the "special tools" in the instructions - most of which you can improvise and not have to invest in things you may never use again!

Basically Greg, the only "special" tool you will need is a proper tool to undo the bolts - on the drive shaft hubs - the "bit" that goes in the end of a standard ratchet / drive tool - They are similar in design to Torx bits - but have more finer splines... 12 points in them to be exact.

But if you have a general socket / ratchet set and general tools - all you will need is that to be able to undo and replace the fixing bolts.

Its a good idea to have a "kit" of these anyway for your self if you intend to work on your own Audi - or any of the VW / Audi range as they have these bolts of varying sizes all over the car.. So I suggest buy a kit - they are not expensive. Any good car parts / tools store have these.

Other than that - with as I say a good general mechanics tool kit as above and that will do the job for you.

Kind Rgds, MIKE

I do need you now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me at this point - --- Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Mike, Technician