Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Audi A4 Quattro: My 2004 Audi A4 is stalling occassionally

My 2004 Audi A4 is stalling occassionally when trying to crank. Sits for a few minutes and cranks up. Could it be the crankshaft position sensor? When it does crank, the EPC light comes on and the car is idle a bit high. Turn the car off and everything goes back to normal. What could be the problem?

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

There are dozens of components (sensors, switches, actuators, wirings etc...) that would cause this.

Billy :

The EPC warning light being on, indicates that fault codes are stored, and these fault codes should point out the faulty component or circuit, to be further checked and replaced or fixed as necessary.

Billy :

However, given the symptoms, the most common causes on this specific model would be a throttle body requiring some cleaning, a leak within the air intake hoses, or the oil vapor hoses.

Billy :

Accordingly, i would start by cleaning the throttle body using some Wd40 or equivalent and a toothbrush, dry out, and then refit.

Billy :

Then, check for any leaky intake air hoses, and check the hose from the valve cover to the intake. All the hoses and tubes from the air filter and to the engine itself.

Billy :

IF you have no leaks, blocked tubes or other, and if the throttle was cleaned and the problem persists, then you would need to connect the vehicle on to a scan tool, to retrieve the fault codes and proceed accordingly (according to the fault codes).

Billy :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy :

Regards, Billy