Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi: I have a 2004 Audi A4. Getting a P012 code. The engine

I have a 2004 Audi...
I have a 2004 Audi A4. Getting a P012 code. The engine runs great. I have replaced the solenoid for the cam chain and it was worn and the chain now is making less noise but I am still getting the code. Maybe once every 3 or 4 days.

1.8 with Turbo.

Do you believe it could have been the position sensor on the front of the cam shaft?
7/22/2013
chrisEvw
chrisEvw, ASE Certified Technician

chrisEvw :

hello and thank you for contacting just answers

chrisEvw :

what is the code that you are getting it should be one more digit.

Customer:

P0012 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over

Roman
Roman, Technician
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product
If you are getting the same fault after the correct repair and cannot erase it, I recommend that to recheck the timing marks. It is quite possible that the cam timing is off. Re align the crank shaft and check the cam gear. Then remove the valve cover and re check that there are 16 links between the marks.

Let me know What you find?

It is 16. I am sure of that.

16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

Possible Symptoms

Erratic Idle

Possible Causes

Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty
EITHER your timing is off or the cam adjusted is failed. Re check both to be absolutely sure.
Possible Solutions

Check Intake Camshaft Adjuster Use Output Test, Meas. Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting

What are you talking about? This model has a audi variable valve timing actuator.

There is an adjuster found in between both cams with the actuator in question. If the crank, cam and cam adjuster timing is within specs then you will have to test electrically using a wire diagram and the scantool to check the output settings. Do you know how to do this test?
You have stated that you have replaced it. Make sure that the timing marks are within specs.by setting up the crank timing, removing the valve cover and checking the cam timing. If the static marks are ok you will need to test the circuit.
The variable valve timing actuator on Audi is called the cam adjuster solenoid.
Please re check to ensure the connector is tight and does not have bent pins, check the female side of the pins to make sure that they are making continuous contact.

Let me know what you find?

I never removed the left cam or the timing belt so the crank and the cam should be in time. I lined up the left cam to the timing mark on the number 1 cap. I used a diagram to check exactly how to count the 16. I ignored the right cap timing mark. I will tear it back down and check to see if the timing is still on target.

I do not know how to test the circuit using the scanner but mine is an Actron so I will look at the book and see if I can figure it out.

You state that you have replaced the solenoid. How did you replace it?

I want to make sure we are both on the same page and have no confusion about which parts was changed.

I removed the plugs and set the timing mark to TDC.

I removed the right caps in sequence as well as the front cap and the back cap on the left side. I loosened all the other caps on the left side.

I picked up the cam and the solenoid at the same time and slid the actuator out.

I replaced the rear gasket.

I marked the chain on the left side just to the left of the timing mark and counting it inclusively I counted the 16 mark the chain and aligned the right cam timing cut out that point on the chain.

I reassembled the engine and rotate the engine by hand to insure nothing was hitting.

The engine ran fine but then the code came back.

Before or after I never had any problems with the engine running.

I did have to do it twice because before I had the diagram I set it to 15 because of the timing cap on the right side. The engine ran fine but it didn't have enough power.

Either the timing is off, you have to make sure or the sensor or the circuit is at fault.

Let me know what you find when you check the timing marks

I checked the time and there is still 16. I checked the bolts to make sure nothing was loose. I cleared the code.

You wrote

test electrically using a wire diagram and the scantool to check the output settings. Do you know how to do this test?

I used the scan tool but only thing I was able to do is run the ignition scan. At idle I found a spec of between 5 to 15. I graphed the data and it appears to be between 5.9 and 11.

I looked at the frozen data and the event occured while traveling 63 miles per hour. The fuel Banks were -1.6% on both if I am saying that correctly.

I drove the car to work today. So far no codes.

I used an aftermarket part. I am wondering if that might be it.

I noticed a rattle at start up. Can oil pressure on the lifters effect anything? I am at a loss.

The fault is p0012 if you hear that during start up a rattling noise that means the cam adjuster is failing and loses oil pressure after sitting for a while. It needs oil pressure to keep the cams in time during start which causes the timing to retard, hence the timing goes out of spec.
Below is the definition of the symptoms and causes.
I f you have replaced the adjuster and it still is noisy I will recommend that you need to replace it again. It is failed.

Possible Symptoms
Erratic Idle
Possible Causes
Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck
Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Intake Camshaft Adjuster
Use Output Test, Meas. Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting
Roman
Roman, Technician
Roman
Roman
Roman, Technician