Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi TT Quatro Coupe: I had to remove the battery from my

I had to remove the...
I had to remove the battery from my Audi TT quarto coupe. When I replaced it the warning light for the magnetic shocks, power steering and traction control stay on and the switches for the magnetic shocks are inoperable.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/17/2013
Roman
Roman, Technician
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product.

You will need to perform basic setting on these control modules. Using a compliant scan tool or having a technician perform it. Clear the faults and use vag com or something similar to perform the settings

Do you have access to this software?

I scanned the car using a Gentech model 99722 scanner but it did not register any fault codes. I do not have access to vag com

You must use a scanner that can readily reset basic settings on control modules if your cannot do that You can look on ebay or someplace to purchase a similar unit that will work with rosstech software.

If there are no faults logged that this tells me for sure that the basic settings needs to be performed. Especially on the throttle valve.

This procedure details how to perform a Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) on many VW/Audi vehicles. This procedure cycles the motorized throttle body through various states (idle, part throttle, WOT) to relearn their positions. Some examples of reasons to perform a TBA:

The vehicle's battery has been disconnected and re-connected

The ECU has been removed and reinstalled

The Throttle Body has been cleaned or removed and reinstalled

The Accelerator Pedal has been removed and reinstalled

In some vehicles, the car will not run correctly, or may not run at all without performing a TBA after one of the above operations. The TBA can be performed on both Drive-By-Wire (DBW or E-gas) as well as Cable-throttle cars as long as there is no Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV). If there is an ISV, then there is no motorized control of the throttle at all. Typically, '96-'99 VW/Audi have motorized Cable-throttle, and '00+ VW/Audi have DBW. Obviously, there are some exceptions. This should be obvious but TDI's do not have throttle bodies.

There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing a TBA:

No DTC's in the Engine Controller

Battery voltage at least 11.5 V

Throttle must be at idling position (keep your foot off the gas pedal)

Throttle body part must not be dirty (carbonized).

Coolant temperature must be between 5 and 95C

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on Cable-Throttle Cars:
These are cars with a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle, but WITHOUT an ISV.

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 098 (Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines)
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on DBW Cars using KWP-1281:
(Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-1281 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KWP-1281 engine controllers are 2000+ Golf/GTI/Jetta/New Beetle/Audit TT 1.8T)

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 060
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on DBW Cars using KWP-2089:
(Check to see if the engine speaks KWP- 2089 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KWP-2089 engine controllers are 2002+ Audi A4, 2002+ VW Passat, and Touareg)

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.
Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen.
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen
Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

Roman
Roman, Technician
Roman
Roman
Roman, Technician