Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
35071616

Audi A4 Quattro Avant: I have a 99.5 audi a4 1.8t with the

I have a 99.5 audi a4 1.8t with the AEB motor, while coming to a stop the engine will stall. It starts and runs just fine afterwards. It also has a MIL for insufficient flow on catalytic converter. Would this be causing the issue? A plugged cat?

Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product.

Unfortunately for that fault the Cats are failed and need replacement.

Have you any additional faults logged please list them here to evaluate.

Has the battery been disconnected or ECM or power been lost?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No other fault codes found, battery has not been disconnected nor has the ecu been removed/disconnected. The vehicle had front end damage when I got it, I replaced the radiator, a/c condenser, and power steering res. That was the only mechanical damage, the rest was body. I have not yet re-filled the auto trans after I replaced the radiator.

do you have a scan tool that can adapt the throttle plate/
This may be the reason the you experience stalling condition.

realign the throttle

Throttle Body Alignment
Updated 29 Jan. 2007

not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk. As always, you should refer to a Factory Repair Manual for your vehicle!

This procedure details how to perform a Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) on many VW/Audi vehicles. This procedure cycles the motorized throttle body through various states (idle, part throttle, WOT) to relearn their positions. Some examples of reasons to perform a TBA:

The vehicle's battery has been disconnected and re-connected

The ECU has been removed and reinstalled

The Throttle Body has been cleaned or removed and reinstalled

The Accelerator Pedal has been removed and reinstalled

In some vehicles, the car will not run correctly, or may not run at all without performing a TBA after one of the above operations. The TBA can be performed on both Drive-By-Wire (DBW or E-gas) as well as Cable-throttle cars as long as there is no Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV). If there is an ISV, then there is no motorized control of the throttle at all. Typically, '96-'99 VW/Audi have motorized Cable-throttle, and '00+ VW/Audi have DBW. Obviously, there are some exceptions. This should be obvious but TDI's do not have throttle bodies.

There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing a TBA:

No DTC's in the Engine Controller

Battery voltage at least 11.5 V

Throttle must be at idling position (keep your foot off the gas pedal)

Throttle body part must not be dirty (carbonized).

Coolant temperature must be between 5 and 95C

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on Cable-Throttle Cars:
These are cars with a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle, but WITHOUT an ISV.

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 098 (Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines)
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on DBW Cars using KWP-1281:
(Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-1281 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KWP-1281 engine controllers are 2000+ Golf/GTI/Jetta/New Beetle/Audit TT 1.8T)

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 060
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on DBW Cars using KWP-2089:
(Check to see if the engine speaks KWP- 2089 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KWP-2089 engine controllers are 2002+ Audi A4, 2002+ VW Passat, and Touareg)

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.
Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen.
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen
Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not have a VAG-COM, is there a way to realign without a cable? My OBD II software is not VAG specific and can't perform a realignment. The vehicle is not currently drivable with this condition.

You need to use a tool that can perform a throttle adaptation. This should be the first thing you try. You should get a tool that is compliant as you will need to perform the alignment Everytime the battery loses power.

You can get a fake Ross tech if you seArch online that will work with your pc if you want to save money. Just look for it online. I bought one years back and it works fine.

Or you have to find a tech and pay them Everytime you need this done.