Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
35071616

Audi A4 Quattro: I have a 1999 audi quatro 2.8 b5....i replaced

Customer Question

I have a 1999 audi quatro 2.8 b5....i replaced the wiper motor and relay but the wipers still dont work. I can connect 12v power direct to motor and it works..when I engage wiper switch i can hear the relay and can also feel it engaging when i touch the relay. What could the issue be? Also the wiper arm assembly isn't corroded and stuck.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

Are you getting supply to the relay (the supply that comes in the relay, and out to the motor when the relay is engaged)?

Billy :

did you check for any blown fuses?

Customer :

fuses are good and I haven't checked for power out of the relay but I can hear the relay funtion to some degree when I turn on the wiper switch. I will check today after work...13 hours from now.

Billy :

If the fuses are good, then i would mostly suspect the relay. Either way, here is the wiring so you can check thoroughly, and if power is getting to the relay, and not out, then the relay requires replacement. If you have no power to the relay, then the wiring needs further checking (the wiring will come real handy by then):

Billy :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer :

the relay I have is new but I believe its after market. I still have my old relay too.

Billy :

Regards, Billy

Customer :

I'm in the same place I was but I paid $18 for a wiring diagram. I mentioned in my initial query that I had replaced the relay....motor is good and switch makes relay function to some degree. this is why I habent rated yet...when I habe the time to decipher the wiring diagram and its not 100 degrees out I will attempt to find the issue...

Customer :

once I figure.out if the info helped.or not I will rate

Expert:  Roman replied 4 years ago.

Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product.

The motor and relay are new so we know that thet are good, now you must check the swotch and wiring. Do you have another switch to test? If the fuses are good and you have power and ground to the motor at the connector consider the wire circuit working as designed and the failure in the switch.

you have the wire diagram above.

"click here for details"

Make sure there is power to the switch and coming out of the switch, then power goes into J31 - the relay, then power goes to the motor ground is found coming out of the motor. If you have power and ground at the motor the circuit is working if not take out the relay and check power, then go backwards towards the switch and verify power is coming out of all the wires. if power comes out check all of the connections in between.

If not then power must be verified going into the switch. Where is there not power or Ground?

let me know what you find?