Bryan, Technician
Experience:  Four years experience diagnosing and repairing Audi vehicles
68592605

Audi S4: my 2002 audi b5 s4 died while driving the other day.

Customer Question

my 2002 audi b5 s4 died while driving the other day. i at first assumed it to be the fuel pump. (no fuel to the engine equals engine dying i thought) after looking around and trying to start it again, it just cranks. no fully turning over or starting at all.. the first attempt every day i get it started but dies within a few seconds. then today i started it and it lasted about 20-30 seconds. now i feel like it isnt a fuel pump because it wouldnt start without any gas going to the engine. so i thought it might be my coil packs. checked em one by one and after i put the second one back in, my car will not even crank at all. just sounds like the battery is dead. so charged the battery and STILL nothing.. PLEASE HELP
Category: Audi
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello

My name is Bryan I will be glad to assist you today in answering your questions.

This sounds like the main ecm relay is dropping out, on the driver side under the hood near the windshield wipers is a black box, there our 4 bolts that hold it down in side is a relay that will fail that can cause this problem. I would check the relay and if needed swap it out for one under the dash as long as they look, identical you should be find to swap it around.

Best regards,