AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi TT Quattro: I have a 2003 Audi TT MK1 225hp and Id like

I have a 2003 Audi TT MK1 225hp and I'd like to replace the engine for the newer Audi TT MK2 2.0 engine. Is the transmission compatible? How can you tell? Any adjustments need to be arranged besides the ECU? Thank you

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

I can assure you right now that this would be a massive undertaking. The transmission may physically bolt up, but the flywheel and clutch assemblies are different. However, that would be the least of your problems trying to fit one of the later FSI/TSI engines into a MkI

AudiDoc :

My strongest suggestion, if you're looking for more power is to perform a few modifications, which I can list for you if you'd like

AudiDoc :

hopefully you can make it into live chat so we can discuss this a bit further

AudiDoc :

And believe me, I can go into exhaustive detail if you'd like. I went to Audi school on these cars in May of '99 and own an '01 225 coupe myself

AudiDoc :

waiting to see if you're able to respond, and if you were able to read what I already wrote

Customer: "May physically bolt on"?
AudiDoc :

meaning that the bellhousing pattern is the same, but nothing else, including the placement of shift cables, sensors....axles are different

Customer: I have to replace the engine, and I'm looking for reliability. What would you recommend while keeping my hp
AudiDoc :

Ah, understood. Did you have timing belt failure, or worse?

Customer: Yes
Customer: And the engine had 200,000 so not worth the rebuilt
AudiDoc :

actually, what I'd recommend in this case is to have the cylinder head removed, valves replaced, and machine work done....

AudiDoc :

oh...gotcha. That's a bit high

AudiDoc :

ok, so with that said, I'd likely recommend going with a good used engine with warranty. There are a couple of excellent Audi salvage yards that I use quite often...

Customer: Any advise for this endeavor? Should I do something else?
AudiDoc :

are you doing your own work, or having a shop do it?

Customer: I need a shop to do it. How much should the labor be for the engine swap?
AudiDoc :

the 225 is a bit tougher due to the extra plumbing. The swap labor is really dependent on how complete the replacement engine is

AudiDoc :

I know that shokan for instance, ships them mostly as a long block, not including manifolds

AudiDoc :

so, with one of those engines, figure about 25 hours of labor, plus most Audi salvage yards to specify that the complete timing belt setup be changed for new

AudiDoc :

including water pump, tensioner, hydraulic damper and so on

Customer: $$$?
AudiDoc :

for labor? 25 hours multiplied by your shop's rate. I don't know what that is, so quote times instead

Customer: Gotcha
AudiDoc :

it's likely 85-100/hr, if it's a specialty shop

Customer: Alright. Any more wisdom for me brother?
AudiDoc :

but to give you an idea of the complexity of a 2.0 swap, easily double that labor, at least

AudiDoc :

well....when was the last clutch job you had done? At what mileage?

AudiDoc :

good time to do it now, if it's been a while

Customer: if I was to actually do the 2.0 what exactly needs to be done?
AudiDoc :

wow....short list? Replace flywheel and clutch setup for the 2.0. Replace shift cables, engine control module, mounts, adapt instrument cluster, if possible, other electronic adaptations...

AudiDoc :

even the AC setup is different

AudiDoc :

it's daunting. I wouldn't do it, and I know these cars intimately well

Customer: Not worth it. Any other possible engine that's compatible with it besides the vr6 one?
AudiDoc :

Considering the value of the car, the cost of anything other than another 1.8T really isn't worth it, being totally honest

Customer: Gotcha. The car is actually in good condition, and it has awesome things such as a bilstein coil over suspension that feels like heaven.
Customer: So it's worth replacing the engine
AudiDoc :

PSS9 coils...nice stuff

AudiDoc :

yep, for sure

Customer: Ok. Well. That about does it for me. I appreciate your help, and is there any awesome advise left to give?
AudiDoc :

very glad to help, and I think that's all I've got for you for now

Customer: Thank you so much for all you advise and help. Cheers
AudiDoc :

glad to do it and take care