Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Audi A6: My 2002 A6 3.0 was recently in for service unrelated…

My 2002 A6 3.0 was...
My 2002 A6 3.0 was recently in for service unrelated to this problem. I picked it up this morning and noticed that it was parked with the wheels turned all the way to the left. I got in, started it, and pulled out of the parking spot. The steering was extremely heavy feeling and I pulled over because I thought I had a flat tire. Tires were fine, but the steering was horrible, as if there wasn't any power steering assistance. I pulled back into the shop and they are looking at it now. I thought I had read in the car's manual that you weren't supposed to park the A6 with the wheels turned all of the way to one side or the other. The mechanic said he had never heard of that. Could this have caused the problem or is it just extremely bad luck?
5/22/2013
Bryan, Technician

Hello

My name isXXXXX will be glad to assist you today in answering your questions.

Few questions

Did you here any power steering noise?

Did any lights come on the dash ?

Is the power steering belt still on the car seen where the belt gets stretched pops off usually no noise but, you loose power steering?

Normally on the 3 liter engine the suction hose small hose on the back of the power steering pump, gets small cracks in it and the pump starts sucking air in and over time you will get a power steering wine when turning the wheel all the way to the lock position. Now in your case if the fluid was a touch low from this issue and the wheel was turned all the way to the lock its possible the pump was damaged.

Now its never a good idea to turn the wheels all the way to the lock position and leave it.

Biggest issue now is if the pump is bad did the low fluid damage the steering rack (or gear) when it went bad. When pumps go bad they start to come apart internally putting small amounts of metal into the power steering fluid. This small metal flakes under pressure can damage seals and destroy a power steering rack.

As for the timing its possible, but unlikely, the power steering pump on that vehicle is not known for its reliability I have replaced more on that engine than on any other Audi. I would say its a bit small for the vehicle.

Now if the shop did damage the pump they are never going to admit it. That's the bad part.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

I didn't hear any power steering noise.

No lights came on the dash.

While I was still there they said my fluid levels looked good and they thought the power steering pump may have stopped pumping.

The mechanic who worked on it last night is off today, but according to the front he didn't mention anything to them about the steering. There is no way he would not have noticed it during his test drive. Kind of strange that it would be fine when i brought it in, fine during their test drive and then overnight it just breaks. Unfortunately I think you're right and the shop will just tell me it was bad luck.

I would bet money they will tell you it was bad luck, but something does not make sense here

Power steering pumps don't just stop pumping, without showing some sign or making a lot of noise.

If they do decide to replace the pump ask them to make sure they replace it with a ZF pump that is the brand Audi uses you can buy it from many parts stores, but the aftermarkets don't last but a few years.

Bryan, Technician
Bryan, Technician