Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

clamp sizes for injector change, rs4 airbox in a6 question…

2004 A6 2.7t tip (going...

2004 A6 2.7t tip (going stage 3) This should be a relatively simple question about clamp sizes, with an additional question about putting an RS4 airbox into an A6... So I've upgraded my 04 2.7t s-line with BW k04s, 034 downpipes, upgraded inlets and I've also upgraded the torque converter... I've sent out my ECU for a stage 3 tune from 034, and I'm installing fueling this weekend (injectors, fpr and a 040 pump, if I feel like it)... I've also got an RS4 airbox, and will be installing this when the ECU comes back (they sent me the S4 adapter for the new MAF housing)... What size clamps should I have on hand while changing out the injectors, and are there any other clips, etc. that I'm likely to break and should pick up from the dealership before I do the work? Also, the RS4 airbox has an intake flap that looks to be driven by the hose that's coming out of it. Should I do anything with that hose and/or flap? Thanks.

BTW, here's what I've got on hand for clamps:

screw clamps:

20 1/3"-5/8"

10 7/16"-29/32"

crimp clamps

10 3/4"

20 1/2"

20 3/8"

I randomly have a bunch of clamps here already, I just want to make sure that I've got everything before I need one :)

4/20/2013
AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Customer:

hi

AudiDoc :

ok, sounds like you're well on your way into stg III goodness.

Customer:

yep :)

AudiDoc :

I'll give some recommendations on clamps in a sec....still reading through the mod list

Customer:

after months of no boost, i'm now in a whole new world

Customer:

k

AudiDoc :

and for what it's worth, I've got a StgIII S4, and Stg III Allroad 6mt

Customer:

i mainly want to make sure that i've got everything i need before i tear into it

Customer:

sweet! it sounds like i've found the right person to talk to :)

AudiDoc :

Yep.

AudiDoc :

Now, the large clamps. Which MAF housing are you using?

AudiDoc :

the 034 aluminum?

Customer:

i've got the 034 85mm housing

AudiDoc :

ok, same thing I've got on the S4

Customer:

but they sent me the S4 adapter instead of the RS4 adapter, so i need to wait for that

Customer:

they've got my other ECU too, and are doing the tuning

AudiDoc :

now, the RS4 box you have, where the MAF mounts, it's got the clips?

Customer:

i was planning on re-using the (band?) clamps from my current MAF for that

AudiDoc :

that should work fine

Customer:

no, the airbox i have has screw holes

AudiDoc :

that part makes it tough. Same exact setup I've got on the S4

Customer:

i picked up an RS4 box from ECS

AudiDoc :

since the 034 housing doesn't have holes, it has ears

AudiDoc :

for clips to hold it on

Customer:

yeah... they claim to have an adapter which fits the RS4 airbox

AudiDoc :

ok, that should work from what I remember

Customer:

but they ended up sending me the wrong one

AudiDoc :

I deal with them quite a bit. Despite what the forums say, I've found them great to deal with

Customer:

since that's the most visible thing i was doing this weekend, i was pretty disappointed when i saw that

AudiDoc :

now, let's talk about the small clamps for when you pull the fuel rail

Customer:

so far jeremy over there has been great

AudiDoc :

get this kit

Customer:

yep, those are the clamps that i've been the most worried about

AudiDoc :

that way it will all look factory

AudiDoc :

And for replenishing the box if you run out

Customer:

which size clamps are the most relevant? i picked up a few pinch clamps at lowes

Customer:

i have 20 in that size and 20 3/8"

AudiDoc :

boy, that's a good question. There are so many steps, which is why I'd start with that kit......

AudiDoc :

But from memory....

AudiDoc :

12mm, 13.3mm, 14.5mm

Customer:

i've also got a bunch of worm feed clamps that i figured i would use where it would be easier (i've got a feeling that i'm going to be playing around in this area a good bit now)

AudiDoc :

yeah, if you're expecting to install/remove/install, sort of trial and error, might as well use the worm clamps....

AudiDoc :

then when you're sure about the setup, replace them with the pinch clamps, so it looks clean

AudiDoc :

Just looking under my Allroad hood, you'd never know it was a StgIII car, other than the airbox

Customer:

lol, well i'm hoping to online have to do it once

Customer:

sweet

Customer:

that's pretty much what i'm going for

Customer:

now, as far as that hose coming off of the airbox goes...

AudiDoc :

ok, the flapper one?

Customer:

i'm assuming there's nothing i can do with it, and i should just tuck it out of the way

Customer:

yeah

AudiDoc :

yep, exactly

Customer:

ok, should i do anything with the flapper like prop it open?

Customer:

to be honest, it seems like i should just use the bottom from my old airbox

AudiDoc :

yep, that was my next suggestion. Similar result as you'd get from drilling a bunch of holes in the lower box

Customer:

makes sense... i'll just try and figure out a way to prop it open

AudiDoc :

this is the housing setup you have?

Full Size Image

Customer:

yeah, that's the one... although everything else is a lot dirtier in my engine :)

Customer:

i've also got their silicone hose between the housing and y-pipe

AudiDoc :

that's ok. Dirty is just as fast as clean :-)

Customer:

lol

Customer:

well, i guess i have one more question... how bad ass is this car going to be when i get done with it? lol

AudiDoc :

which intercoolers did you go with?

Customer:

i blew a turbo back in august, and wasn't able to get it into the shop until feb... getting the downpipes made took 2 months alone

Customer:

i actually haven't done ICs yet... for lack of a better option for the automatic, i'm probably going to go with evolution racewerks... but i'd definitely appreciate suggestions there

AudiDoc :

and which exhaust?

AudiDoc :

The ER coolers are excellent, but prepare to do some surgery

Customer:

i've got 034 downpipes, but i haven't done the full exhaust yet

AudiDoc :

ok, so there are the limiting factors right now.....

AudiDoc :

and for what it's worth, my allroad is 3-, so stock injectors, stock intercoolers

Customer:

yeah, i know i have those

AudiDoc :

and it does 345/360 at the wheels

Customer:

and to be honest, i don't want to push the tiptronic too too much

AudiDoc :

agreed

Customer:

i did drop in a torque converter from 517

AudiDoc :

great idea

Customer:

but i kinda feel like that was a preventative move, more so than an upgrade

AudiDoc :

so, I would expect around the same numbers from your car, considering: automatic, IC's, exhaust

Customer:

i will be putting it on a dyno today to see what i'm getting out of the K04s with the stock MAF, injectors, ICs, fuel pump, tune, etc...

Customer:

i want a baseline to compare against when i get the tuned ECU back

AudiDoc :

also, if you're looking for great sound, great flow, for little money....

AudiDoc :

do Magnaflow

Customer:

ok, good... i wasn't sure who to go with for the exhaust

AudiDoc :

let me post a clip of mine.

Customer:

i was considering the APR exhaust, but i don't think i've had anything from APR that wasn't a pain in the ass

AudiDoc :

This is with Piggies, Magnaflow, but with the rear mufflers eliminated. The stock magnaflow was too quiet for me

Customer:

their stage 1 tune blew my turbo (not blaming them for that), and i've already sent the diverter valves back for new springs once, and will probably have to again

Customer:

that sounds great :)

Customer:

oddly, magnaflow's website doesn't have 2004 as an option for the a6 quattro

AudiDoc :

Let me try to find the link. There was a group buy on the QW allroad forum a while ago. Got this, shipped, for under $600

Customer:

ahh, got it... the 2.7 isn't listed under the quattro

Customer:

wow, great deal

AudiDoc :

check this

Customer:

wow, definitely a good deal

AudiDoc :

yep, but it is pretty quiet

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

that discount code still works

AudiDoc :

heh

AudiDoc :

figured

Customer:

pipes in th cart for 684.16

Customer:

sigh... i told myself that i couldn't buy any parts this weekend :-/

AudiDoc :

installed underneath:

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

oh....one other thing to mention about these

Customer:

looks nice

AudiDoc :

it's slightly long

AudiDoc :

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

so cut it down slightly at the front connectors

Customer:

it does seem like your tips extend a couple of inches more than usual

AudiDoc :

here it is now

Full Size Image

Customer:

sweet

AudiDoc :

let me leave you the direct link to my page here if you need help in the future

Customer:

that'd be great

Customer:

well, thanks for the help.. i've got a feeling that you'll be hearing from me again :)

Customer:

i need to get ready and get her over to the dyno

AudiDoc :

no problem at all. I love these cars

AudiDoc :

let me know how it goes

Customer:

will do, thanks again

AudiDoc :

take care

AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner

well, broke the vacuum check valve, so won't be able to get it back together until monday at the earliest now (fingers crossed a dealership has one in stock) :(

and i pulled a hose out of the back somewhere... coming from the bottom of the fuel rail under the FPR... still not sure where the back is supposed to go, but i'm guessing the secondary air pump has to come out :(

http://recremd.com/IMAG0182.jpg

Any chance of a picture of the area where it came out?

Let me start by saying that this was the first time I had used the one time use clamps... Love them, and with a little planning on each clamp, for the most part it's easy enough to leave them positioned for relatively easy removal... :)

I've found the port, and everything is back together now. However, I'm not sure I trust the connection for the hose that I pulled out, so I might go back and do it again... That being said, I have a much better idea where it is now...

Getting the broken end of the check valve free from that plastic hose took forever... Good times...

Here's a picture of the general area where it came out,

http://recremd.com/IMAG0189.jpg

And here is a picture of the hose back in:

http://recremd.com/IMAG0197.jpg

It is number 25 in this image...

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/images/parts/Audi/fullsize/262133870.jpg

When it's completely connected, there is very little slack... Wish I had seen it before I pulled off the fuel rail...

I was able to push it back into the hose, but to be honest, I'm not sure how well it is in there. It seems that I can gain access to it by removing the secondary air pump, and then removing a bracket from the back of the engine which holds 2 sensors (i guess, one with a maroon wiring harness and one with a black one), both connected to metal braided cable... It might even be a part of that assembly. I think the actual connection sits under where the 2 connections from the spider hose come into the back of the engine...

When I first fired it up, it was running rough and I got a ton of codes... No connection to injector 4... Pulled the y-pipe off and realized that the harness had come loose, and was no longer secure in place... Pushed that back in, started her up, and had no problems... Went and got gas immediately (if things had gone smoothly this weekend, I was also going to do the fuel pump)... I drove is a couple more miles, stopped, and when I came back the CEL was blinking, and I was getting misfire codes on 4 and 5 (if I remember correctly)... However, I didn't get any injector related codes

Would the new injectors plus the stock tune cause these misfires? I also experienced some hesitation when I tried to stomp it to WOT... No codes were thrown from this though... When I go back to tighten that vacuum hose connection, do you have any advice for getting that bracket out of the way? Since there is still a clamp attached to that hose I've got a feeling that I'm going to have to completely remove that bracket and get it out of the engine to really fix it... I'm hoping it is attached to that bracket..

BTW, if you would prefer, I could do this as another question... I can't ask you directly, since you're not online right now...

I'm going to need some time to sort through this, as it's my busy season at the shop. If you want to get back into chat, we will have to start with a new session, but I won't be back on until about 8pm eastern tonight.

Depending on how the rest of the day goes, I might try and snag you this evening... That being said, I think I'm in good shape now... I got the stage 3 tun from 034 yesterday, and that solved all of my hesitation issues... And how!

That's great to hear. I've driven K04 cars on stock tunes (stock everything else) and they do just fine, but once you start changing a lot more hardware, it gets a bit more complicated.

Glad to hear it's going well so far.

i'd love to ask you another question, but can't figure out how to send a question directly to you.

You can ask as a reply here, and if you're happy with the answer, just rate that one also.

fair enough... i still have this in my clipboard. i tried to send this through your homepage, but it kept trying to send it to someone else...

I've got 2 questions, and I've been waiting to catch you online to ask, since you've helped me before. my first question is just a question of technique for changing control arms on a lift. namely how to get it to curb weight to tighten things down...

and the bigger one, I'm getting an EVAP code claiming my LDP is bad. I've got a feeling it's one of 2 (or both) vacuum hoses that i ran into issues with when i changed my injectors (stage 3!)

17884 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump

P1476 - 35-00 - Malfunction / Insufficient Vacuum

i broke that 4-way vacuum check valve, and replaced it, but i was only able to get it 2/3 of the way onto the black plastic hose... it's clamped, but i'm not sure if it's airtight...i'm debating cutting the plastic tube and running a rubber hose from the check valve back to the hose...

the second thing was the hose that's under the back of the fuel rail, driver's side... it goes to another hose that seems to be under the bracket holding the 2 EGT sensors, but I honestly can't tell for sure. I was wondering if you had any clue what the best way to fix that would be... i'd rather ask as opposed to just start tearing in...

2004 a6 s-line BEL

thanks!

Ok, glad you asked for me at any rate. Few site glitches happening here.

Control arms. When you replace them, just before you tighten down the inner bushing bolts, use a floor jack to jack the spindle all the way to ride height, then tighten the bolt/nut. This will keep the bushing from twisting, if you tighten it at full-droop then set the car down.

LDP. It's an odd pump, where there is a diaphragm inside of it to build up tank pressure. There is a solenoid on one side to pull the diaphragm one way, then it uses engine vacuum to pull the diaphragm the other way. You can hear it working at times when idling. You're going to need to follow that hose all the way up from the LR wheelwell, to the intake. If you can smoke test it, it will be easier. This should also eliminate any lean running concerns you may have as well.
AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
AudiDoc
AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner