Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi A6 Quattro: Hi Jason, you have time today to continue

Hi Jason, you have...
Hi Jason, you have time today to continue on 2002 Audi Timing Belt issue. If so I'll send you an update & start a new chat.
3/23/2013
AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner

AudiDoc :

Ok, I'm here

AudiDoc :

Good.....let's see....afternoon

Customer:

You recall where we left off

AudiDoc :

let me take a look...

AudiDoc :

Ok, got it

AudiDoc :

So pump and rollers are all in place

Customer:

yes sir

Customer:

you want me to email you the pics

AudiDoc :

can you post them here? We can't get direct email

Customer:

I'll try again, last time it didnt work. Never done it before so let me try one more time

AudiDoc :

no problem

Customer:

I appeared to have been successful uploading them. 4 total other than duplicates if any. You see them?

AudiDoc :

nope, nothing here

Customer:

paperclip icon on tool bar is to insert image. browse files to select pic. dbl click to select & then hit OK. What am I missing?

AudiDoc :

I think there's an extra step after that one OK step

Customer:

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

BINGO

Customer:

Audi # XXXXX
Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

I like the sticks in the plug holes. Nice touch

AudiDoc :

and good for peace of mind

Customer:

Audi #3
Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

Ouch....this poor thing didn't get regular enough oil changes

Customer:

Audi #4
Full Size Image

Customer:

OK, did you get the info I sent first this am. I dont have crankpin or tension wrench. I should be able to fab something here at shop that would work.

AudiDoc :

Don't worry about the crankpin. Tension wrench (2-pin) is a must

AudiDoc :

I've done hundreds of V6 belt jobs, and never use the crankpin

Customer:

I'm going to reposition car. I'll be back in 10 min

AudiDoc :

no prob....need to grab something out of the fridge here anyway

Customer:

OK back

Customer:

Surprised to hear you say that about oil. For 1st 75-80k miles she always went to dealer and contacted them +/- 500 miles when it was due. They never once indicated to her that her intervals where getting too long. What are you seeing & what else could present same indication.

AudiDoc :

ok, back

AudiDoc :

Well, shorter intervals for sure. Always use the factory filter (napa on there now) or Mann filters, and 5-40 synthetic oil

AudiDoc :

do 5k changes

Customer:

Tolerances are that different?

AudiDoc :

yep

Customer:

OK. So everything else OK to move forward

AudiDoc :

yeah. Let's get the belt on now

AudiDoc :

cam sprockets freewheel now, right?

Customer:

k

AudiDoc :

and you have the cam sprocket reset socket?

Customer:

No. Kit cam incomplete.

AudiDoc :

that may turn into a problem, as the cam variators have to be reset

Customer:

If need be, I'll order them separately. Other video I watcheded prior to our intro never indicated the need. However I just realized why

Customer:

They had cam lock bar that locked the two top cam gears prior to removing belt. Does that make a difference?

AudiDoc :

That cam lock bar was for the earler 2.7-2.8 engines. Their variable valve timing setup is completely different

Customer:

OK, so these two tools are a must?.

AudiDoc :

the cam locks, you already covered. The pin wrench and cam variator reset socket, yep. You'll hate life if you get this all together, and it runs, but has misfires, or cam to crank correlation codes

Customer:

OK, Anything else, timing light? mine is 15 yrs old or better but most auto parts store have rental program.

AudiDoc :

No need for a timing light at all. Computer controlled

AudiDoc :

Each cylinder is timed individually

Customer:

OK , Current crankshaft position is OK.

AudiDoc :

yeah, it can sit there like that, as you don't need to fine-tune crank position until the belt is on, pretensioned, lower belt cover on, and serp pulley on

AudiDoc :

With the cam sprockets still freewheeling, you'll then be able to move the crank into position using the serp belt pulley and lower belt cover marks

Customer:

Anything else for me to do until last two tools arrive?

AudiDoc :

Honestly, no. Sorry. Once they show up, and we've got 30-45 minutes to spend, we'll get it on there and timed up right-quick

Customer:

What does cam sprocket reset socket do

AudiDoc :

The exhaust sprockets have variable valve timing variators in them. The socket resets them to their base settings

Customer:

OK Checking diagram before I sign off. I may have one last question before I cut you loose

AudiDoc :

yep, no problem

Customer:

OK coming off back of both valve covers is plastic hose assembly. about 1/2" ID, corrugated plastic flex hose, This thing is dry rot bad & several shrink tube patches have been put on it. Every time this gets touched it breaks. What is this piece?

AudiDoc :

Most call it the spider hose

AudiDoc :

PCV hose.

AudiDoc :

Replace it while you have the valve covers off

AudiDoc :

let me try to find a part number

AudiDoc :

it's dealer only

AudiDoc :

Ok, the one that goes from valve cover to valve cover, which includes the breather valve:

06C 103 217H at $225

Customer:

Appears something is missing on assembly. What engine catagory should I start searching in for diagram

AudiDoc :

which diagram?

Customer:

What is purpose of assemblhy

AudiDoc :

PCV

Customer:

???

AudiDoc :

crankcase ventilation

AudiDoc :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thanks. OK last diagram I saw looked slightly different. I check it thoroughly before I place order. I guess we are done for today. Anything else you can think of I may want to consider replacing or servicine while I have front of car off

AudiDoc :

do you have a new serp belt tensioner?

Customer:

No, but I'm guessing I soon will

AudiDoc :

that would be best. They like to grenade, and there is a HUGE amount of spring pressure in those

AudiDoc :

and with that, I do have to sign off, and get some errands taken care of

Customer:

OK Thanks

AudiDoc :

glad to help as always

AudiDoc :

and you know how to reach me :-)

AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
AudiDoc
AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner