Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

Audi A6 Quattro: How do I reset the Service Required message

How do I reset the...
How do I reset the Service Required message without going to the dealer and without buying apse ciao XXXXX XXXXX do so 2009 Audi A6 3.0 T (supercharged) Quattro with the performance package.
1/21/2013
Roman
Roman, Technician
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

you can try this although it may require to have a diagnostic tool required due to the new style instrument cluster

With ignition off, press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. Release button. "SERVICE!" or
"SERVICE IN xxxx MI" will appear in display. Press button on left side of instrument panel to the left until display clears. Turn ignition off.
This is the method for 2006 and earlier cars. I explicitly said for 2009 or later. These buttons do NOT exist on my car.
Roman: this is the method for 2006 and earlier cars. I own a 2009 car and these buttons do not even exist. Please try again.
thank you for the negative rating,I answered your question telling you that IF you cannot perform this procedure you must use a scan tool. You did not pay and give negative ratings to technicians who try to help you, good luck.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Before I try and help you with this can you tell me if your vehicle looks like the pictures below.

graphic
graphic

Essentially yes. My car has a slightly narrower center display, but everything else is the same. I suspect this is the dash of a slightly later year.

Okay. See if this information helps along with the picture from above and the other pictures I have attached. If there are any discrepancies let me know and I will see if your vehicle shares a slightly different cluster from a cross over year. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with my service.
Turn the ignition on.
graphic
graphic
Note: The cluster depicted may vary slightly from the one actually being serviced if it is not MMI equipped.

1. Push in the reset button for the trip recorder, hold it in, and turn ignition ON without starting engine.
  2. The display should read either "SERVICE IN ????Miles" or "Service!" if it does not, repeat steps #1 and #2.
  3. To reset, push and hold the odometer reset (control) button until you see "SERVICE IN --- MILES --DAYS" or "SERVICE!"..

Note:
Perform step #4 before the "Service!" message disappears and changes to the usual message about holding the brake down while shifting out of Park.

1. Turn the ignition off. If done correctly, when the ignition is turned back on, the "Service!" reminder will not show.

Alternate Procedure

• With ignition off, push right button.
  • Turn ignition on, then pull the left button
Note:
A flexible interval can only be calculated for the next service if the Service Interval Display is reset using VAS 5051 / 5052, VAG 1551/52 or the Vehicle Diagnosis Tester.

Reseting indicator via the instrument cluster will result in setting to a fixed service interval value of 1 year / 15,000 km (10,000 miles).

Do not reset the display between service intervals. Doing so will result in an incorrect display.

The service display information will remain intact even if the battery is disconnected.

If a priority 1 malfunction is detected (red symbol), you cannot display the distance remaining.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try it. Stay tuned.

Okay. Let me know and if for some reason it does not work or something is missing let me know.

Hi:

Here is a high resolution picture of my Dash. The car does have an MMI display also. Note that the buttons you reference above and show in your dash shot do not exist on my dash. Hopes this helps you determine what to do specifically for my car.

Any new ideas given the dash i actually have? Of am I just out of luck?

That is a little different and may require a scan tool. Let me double check something for you first.

Thank you for sticking with this.

Okay. I just needed to verify this cluster and the fact that the system would not reset. If it will not reset then it will need to be done with a scan tool. That will be the only way to get the system to reset at this time. I am sorry that I could not get this taken care of for you. If you are not satisfied with this answer please do not rate is poorly as I will opt out and allow another expert to try and see if there is anything else that you can try.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician