Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an intermittent fan or hissing noise..radiator fans..air flow…

I have an intermittent fan...
I have an intermittent fan or hissing noise when the engine is off. It is not the radiator fans. Seems to come from under the air flow tubes where it conects to the front of the car. This problem persists for a day or so drainning the battery, then is gone for days at a time, only to return again.
12/29/2011
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician
Welcome to Just Answer!!

Does it sound like a vacuum or helicopter noise almost ??
More like my re-chargable mini vac i use around the house
Ok more then likely the noise you are hearing is the secondary air pump located at the bottom passenger side of the engine if it's staying on you more then likely have a issue with the relay for it located in the ECM under the drivers side wiper cowl we have seen this issue before and it is common . I hope this helps .

Please don't forget to click accept for my time and knowledge thank you
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician
would a bad relay cause the secondary air pump to come on and off by itself. In other words when the car sets in the garage it will run, shut off, and run again without touching the car
Yes the relay will cause this issue