marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster
17579256

Audi A4 Avant I have a broken glove compartment box on Audi

Customer Question

I have a broken glove compartment box on Audi A4 Avant 08. Got the whole glove compartment box out, but to remove the two small little bolts that secure the hinges, seems impossible. I've tried pliers and/or hammering them out with a flathead, but fear stripping/breaking down the bolts. Am I missing something?
Category: Audi
Expert:  marcpod replied 6 years ago.

marcpod :

Welcome i am sending instructions on how to repalce the glove compartment

marcpod :

Glove Compartment
¤Removal:

• Disconnect instrument panel cover - 2 -. Refer to => [ Removing Right Instrument Panel Cover ] See: Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel\Right Instrument Panel Cover

• Open glove compartment cover.

• Remove three bolts - 3 - at top in depressions of glove compartment - 1 -.

• Remove outside bolts - 5 - (Qty. 2) from the side.

• Remove bolts - 4 -- (Qty. 2) from the footwell out from below.

• Remove glove compartment downward.

• Remove connector - 6 - of glove compartment illumination.

• Disconnect harness connectors to electrical components in glove compartment, if available.

¤Installing:

To install, perform the steps used in removal in reverse order.

2Instrument Panel Cover

¤Removing, refer to => [ Removing Right Instrument Panel Cover ] See: Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel\Right Instrument Panel Cover

3Bolts (Qty. 3)

¤Tightening specification 5 Nm

4Screws, (Qty. 2)

¤Tightening specification 5 Nm

5Screws, (Qty. 2)

¤Tightening specification 5 Nm

6Electrical Connection
7Instrument Panel

Removing Right Instrument Panel Cover

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Pull off right instrument panel cover - arrow - using special hook (3370

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

Hi Marcpod,

marcpod :

Hi bud hopefully this will help let me know!

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

Hi Marcpod-I see that you're sending me all the specific details of removing the glove box. I've done that already as it is sitting in my basement. I do need to change the glove box door as the right sided hinge has cracked. I'm at the point of where I need to remove those tiny little bolts that essentially hold the glove compartment in place. The pix you've sent so far don't help me as I've accomplished all of that already. Do you have instructions for actually removing the door?

marcpod :

I gotcha let me send those for you

marcpod :

Glove Compartment Cover

Removing

• Remove glove compartment. Refer to => [ Storage Compartments and Covers ] See: Utility Storage Compartment\Service and Repair.

• Press pin - 1 - out in direction of - arrow - at connection between brake for glove compartment cover - 2 - and glove compartment cover - 3

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

• Open glove compartment cover.

There are holes on the inside of the glove compartment at the left and right by the hinge.

marcpod :

• Knock the pins - 2 - on left and right out of the glove compartment - 1 - using a drift (4 mm).

If there is no hole, proceed as follows:

• Pull pin - 2 - inward on left and right inward and remove using a pliers.

• Remove glove compartment cover.

Installing

marcpod :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

Marcpod-there is no hole to knock the pins out, and so I've tried pulling the pins inward on both sides using pliers. They are not coming out!!! The pins/bolts are starting to strip from all the pulling I'm doing with the pliers. I've tried using a cloth to cover the pins and then clamping with the pliers to pull inward, but no go. I'm concerned that I'll continue to strip the bolts and wasn't sure if there was some special type of tool. I'm no wuss, but if I pull any harder, something's gonna break or strip more. I hope you get the gist of what I'm talking about.

marcpod :

good idea on the cloth

marcpod :

hold on for me

marcpod :

Version 1

Removing

• Press pin - 1 - out in direction of arrow at connection between brake for glove compartment cover - 2 - and glove compartment cover - 3 -.

marcpod :

• Loosen green connector.

• Rotate brake for glove compartment cover - 1 - approx. 90°in cut-out - 2 - and remove brake for glove compartment cover.

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

• Loosen green connector.

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

that is version one

marcpod :

here is version 2

marcpod :
  • Disconnect electrical connector - 2 -.
  • marcpod :

• Remove the joint pin 1- 1 -.

• Disengage the brake for glove compartment cover - 3 - in a clockwise direction and remove it.

¤Depicted in illustration with glove compartment removed.

Installing

marcpod :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

For sure, Version one is not helping. It doesn't appear that its even correct for a 2008 A4 Avant...

marcpod :

That should be correct but let me look at the other a4 model versions and see if there are any other differences

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

Version 2 is at least on the right track as it shows the correct picture of the glove compartment brake. I've removed the joint pin and disengaged the brake for glove compartment cover. That still doesn't help me with the pins that are holding both the hinges in place and ultimately the glove box cover. I've tried pulling the pins out again with pliers and still no luck. Unless you have an illustration for that, I don't believe you will be able to help me.

marcpod :

They all show the same thing

marcpod :

can you or do you know the production date

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

There is actually a green sticker that shows "3 06 07".

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

The illustrations only show how to remove the glove box cover brake. I still need the instructions to separate the actual glove door/cover from the box. With these Audi's its pretty common that the hinges break, so you have to replace the whole darn glove box cover. I don't see how you can remove these pins that keep the door hinges in place. There is no place on the inside of the box where you can push the pin "out", because the whole thing is sealed.

JACUSTOMER-8fk2fwvn- :

No offense Marc, but I hope I can get my money back.

marcpod :

You can no problem at all its all about accepting the answer even the other A4's show the same thing. i will opt out for you my friend