Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 A6: Misfires..Engine runs strong and smooth most..it rains…

Customer Question
2000 A6 2.8 Multiple Random Misfires...
2000 A6 2.8

Multiple Random Misfires. Engine runs strong and smooth most of the time. Seems to be a problem when it rains. Drove it to work. Everything was fine. Rained when at work. Severe misfire when started. Drove home. Ran poorly. Started 90 minutes later. Everything was fine.

May be related to issues in fall. After some body work was done, the paint shop hosed off engine comaprtment. Car for the first time wouldn't run correctly. New plugs, new coilpacks, new wires, good fuel pressure no success. Shop had car for several weeks. Sent to another shop. They changed timing on left head slightly. No success. Changed Cat. Car was fine for 5 months.

When it runs, it runs great. Other times it is terrible and the check engine light flashes. Very inconsistent but seemingly related to weather.

I misted the engine compartment with water from a windex bottle and it had no affect. The car continued to run well. When the car was running poorly, I disconnected the MAF. No affect.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Audi
6/28/2010
Audi Mechanic: Audi0405, Technician replied 8 years ago
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician
Welcome to Just Answer!!

Do you have a check enigne light on?? or know the faults in the ecm??
Check engine light flashes during misfires. Remains on when engine runs smothly without flashing. It then clears after running fine for a trip or two. I do not know of any codes other than the Multiple random misfires. The only code check this time was at autozone.
Does it only show random multiple misfires or does it show a specific cylinder??
Just Random Multiple Misfires
Have you checked the injector since you have replaced all the common items??

The injector? versus Injectors? Why would the car run fine most of time if it were injector related?

I have not done anything with the injectors.

Just wondering if the injectors are getting clogged at times and may not have a good pray pattern because the main objects that are common to fail in rainy weather like the coils have been replaced already.
Do you suggest pulling the injectors? I have never experienced an injector issue. The last time I had a fuel issue it was with a Rochester Quadrajet!!!
We dont see too many injector issues but here and there we do i recommend you run a fuel injection cleaning service trough the fuel rail not the one that you put in the tank but the one that is used with a machine trough the injector rail . I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician

It appears the problem was the coil pack that was installed in the fall.

Ok am glad you found the issue.