Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

humming noise..rear passenger..low pressure fuel pump..fuel filter…

Customer Question
I am getting a humming...
I am getting a humming noise @ idle that appears to be coming from the rear passenger area. I am leaning towards the low pressure fuel pump as I have replaced the fuel filter to see if that was the cause. But I can only guess that will not be to cheap, so I want to be sure it is not just a sensor that I can replace or something along those lines.

I do have a Ross-Tech "Vag-Com" diagnostic tool, so I can run measuring blocks if needed. Currently show no codes.

Did want to mention I didn't "notice" the noise until I replaced the fuel filter (a different one), but yesterday I tried an OEM one JUST to be sure it the noise is still there.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Audi
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
Audi Mechanic: Louis Gutierrez, Technician replied 8 years ago
Louis Gutierrez
Louis Gutierrez, Technician

Hello there, try opening the ignition switch without starting the engine if the noise is there more than likely your fuel pump is the one causing the noise, now all the pumps make a little noise but if the noise is to loud, is a sign that the pump is going bad, there is no other component on the rear passenger area that can possibly cause a humming noise. I hope this help you .. Good Luck!!

What do you mean by opening the ignition switch? Just turn the key to the "on position"? If so I will try that, I know it makes a noise for a second or two (but I believe that is the pump priming).

I mentioned that I have a vag-com, and I know there are measuring blocks one can run (I believe #103 and #106), but I am not sure what they are supposed to read when everything is functioning normal.
Yes thats what I meant, a sign of the pump going bad is the when the primming noise get louder, now on you Vag question I'm not really sure on the MVB because we use the VAS 5051 and the MVB there are different the best to find out is to go on line and check if they have a list on the support web they have to to have some sort of guide that will tell you exactly what are looking at.. In any case like I said earlier if the primming noise is louder more than likely you are looking at a bad pump .. Good Luck!

Sorry for the late response. But arent the measuring blocks for the VAS systems and what Ross-Tech has put out (VCDS) system the same?