Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1996 audi quattro: get me a radio code..road trip friday..my stereo…

Customer Question
I have just bought a...
I have just bought a 1996 audi quattro a4 and the dealer told me they would get me a radio code and it doesn't work! what can i do to reset this code because i am leaving for a road trip friday and it's been driving me crazy not having a radio. i can't believe i paid for the car and my stereo doesn't work. please help! i have reset it to safe mode. i don't know how to remove the faceplate but i do have a VIN number for the car. any ideas?

UPDATE: the dealer says they can't get me the code after they tried two. I can provide a bill of sale for the car to verify that I do indeed have the rights to this radio.

Also, I know how to google and look up how to put a code in (tried it myself already) and I am perfectly capable of doing this part but I need a correct code. Is there any way to reset the code or something???

Or look it up by my VIN number??? I don't know why this is so difficult!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Audi
6/17/2010
Audi Mechanic: Steve, ASE L1 Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, ASE L1 Master Technician

Hello;

(1) Has the dealership provided you with the correct security code number for the radio yet?

(2) If you have the code now, we need to know whether your radio says BOSE, GAMMA, or DELTA on the front to get you the correct procedure for entering the security code to unlock your radio.

no, they tried two numbers "they said"--i'm getting very upset at them because i only bought the car because they said they would fix this issue. i bought it from Falls Church Auto in Virginia.

The radio says Delta on it.

Please help! I would love to solve this soon because tomorrow I am going on a roadtrip and it will be so awful without a radio.

Thanks!
Tan

You will first need to call your closest Audi dealership, give them your car's VIN number, and they will be able to give you the security code for your radio. You need to know that you have the correct code before doing anything else, and the new car dealer is the only source for this.

Once you have what you know is absolutely the correct code, I will be glad to post the detailed instructions for entering the code to make your radio work again...