Audi

Audi repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 A6: Audi..dash display..the electric windows and sunroof…

Customer Question
Audi 1999 A6, the dash...
Audi 1999 A6, the dash display shows 3 doors open the front passager and the two back passager doors and now the electric windows and sunroof will not function nor the display show anything other than the picture of the car with the three doors open. the doors are closed. I checked the fuse, can't figure out what the issue is, any suggestions? please post here or email [email protected]
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Audi
9/2/2009
Audi Mechanic: Jake, Technician replied 13 years ago
Jake
Jake, Technician

Thank you for choosing “Just Answer” for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Based on your description, I suspect a problem with the central locking control module. These are all systems controlled by that control module.

The first thing I would check would be to remove any floor mat you may have on the driver’s side and feel the carpet. If it’s wet, you have a water intrusion issue. You should also feel the carpet in the rear as that tends to be a lower area. Usually when water is in the driver’s (left) side, it gets in through the bonded windshield seal (glue) from a improperly replaced windshield. The central locking control unit is located under the carpet immediately in front of the driver’s seat. The carpet must be lifted, the box housing the controller must be removed, and the controller inspected for water intrusion. I have had luck taking the controllers apart and drying them out. But if it has been awhile it may require replacement. Also check the passenger (right) side. The controller for the automatic transmission (if so equipped) is housed at the passenger’s feet

If water intrusion is not the issue, I suggest you take the vehicle to a repair shop that has a scanner capable of interrogating the central locking control module and checking for any stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Further testing, diagnosis and repair would be based on any DTC(s) retrieved.

I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask. Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT“ button by THIS answer.

Thank You!
Jake “THE AUDI DOCTOR”