Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

2000 Audi A4 quattro: a roaring sound coming..wheel bearing..dealers

Customer Question
My daughter has a 2000...
My daughter has a 2000 Audi A4 quattro that has a roaring sound coming from the rear of the car at high speeds. I am speculating it may be a wheel bearing. I have not had much faith in the Audi dealers repair facilities. Any advice?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Audi
10/24/2008
Audi Mechanic: Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic

It is possible that this is a rear wheel bearing (it is common on this vehicle) but I would first check to see if the rear tires are chopped up because these can make a similar noise as a wheel bearing. Below is the process for changing the bearing,

WHEEL BEARING
Removal
1. Before carrying out work on the wheel bearings or wheel hub the wheel and brake caliper must be removed. For more information, Suspend the brake caliper using a piece of wire. Do not allow the caliper to hang by the brake hose. The unsupported weight can stretch and damage the brake hose.
2. Raise and support vehicle. Remove grease cap, cotter pin, castle nut and spindle nut. See Fig
36. Remove hub and bearings as an assembly. DO NOT drop outer bearing. Remove rear bearing grease seal. Remove inner bearing. Drive bearing races from hub assembly using a brass drift.
NOTE: When installing hub, ensure press adapter contacts ONLY the bearing races.
Installation
1. To install, reverse removal procedure. Apply small quantity of wheel bearing grease to wheel bearing seat before pressing in bearing race. Fill groove (arrow) of new oil seal with grease.
2. Only re-install clean bearings; do not wash out bearings. Adjust bearing. Always replace grease cap.

This Audi has new tires that were put on the vehicle only a month ago. The noise was happening before the new tires were put on. My daughter thought there was a noise then. She said she thought it sounded like the car was not going into overdrive at the time, but I checked the rpms and it seemed to me that it was changing OK. Any tips on finding a better auto repair shop for an Audi than the dealer? Thanks

Customer/p>

You may need to check around your local town, you would be surprised how good some independent garages are. If these were me I would check with friends and family to see where they take there vehicle, that is usually the best way to find a good independent shop.

Sorry but I missed that this was a quattro, Below is the process for changing a wheel bearing but you will need a special tool for this operation.

WHEEL BEARING HOUSING
CAUTION: The vehicle must be standing on its wheels when loosening or tightening the collar bolt for the drive axle. Otherwise the risk of an accident exists.

Removal
1. Vehicle must be standing on its wheels above vehicle lift. Remove wheel trim. On light alloy wheels use puller in vehicle tool kit to remove trim cap. Loosen axle shaft collar bolt in wheel hub.
2. Loosen wheel bolts. Raise vehicle on lift. Remove wheel. Pull ABS wheel speed sensor from wheel bearing housing. Remove axle shaft collar bolt.
3. Remove bolt for connecting link to wheel bearing housing.
4. Remove track rod from wheel bearing housing.
5. Using 3287 ejection device for steering rod, press track rod off wheel bearing housing.
6. Remove bolts mounting brake caliper to wheel bearing housing. Remove brake caliper without disconnecting brake hose and hang from body. Do not allow caliper to hang by brake hose. The unsupported weight can stretch and damage the hose. Remove brake disc.
7. Mark installation position of eccentric washer for bolt for wheel bearing housing to lower control arm and remove.
8. Remove wheel bearing housing to upper control arm bolt. Remove wheel bearing housing from drive axle and remove.

Wheel Bearing Replacement"
NOTE: Using VAG 1459B allows technician to service wheel bearing and wheel hub on vehicle. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
1. Using press, remove wheel bearing. See Fig. 45.
2. If necessary, remove any corrosion/dirt from hole in wheel bearing housing. Press in bearing A until fully seated. See Fig. 45 . Larger inner diameter of wheel bearing faces wheel hub.

graphic

Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Daryl
Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic