Audi

Audi Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi

On my 2003 Audi Allroad the Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control

light is constantly on and...
On my 2003 Audi Allroad the Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control light is constantly on and the head lights aim low. Can this be fixed easily (inexpensively) or is this a major part (chip?) replacement?
9/14/2008
Auditech77
Auditech77, ASE Certified Technician

There are sensors on the l/f and l/r of the lower control arms. It sounds like one of those is broken or water has got into the connectors. Do both headlights aim low? Is the suspension warning light on? You can look under both the front and rear of car on the left side and see if the rods are broken to the sensors mounted on the body.

Thanks, Auditech77

Thank you for your reply. Both headlights aim low. The suspension warning light is NOT on, just the DHDC light. When I looked under the vehicle I did not see anything broken, but I am unsure if I looked in the right place. Should it be a sensor, can I order/ replace it myself - the nearest dealership is quite a ways from here!

Thanks again

On the ft. suspension there is a short plastic linkage attached to the front straight control arm. In the rear it is attached to the lower control arm, but it is a bit harder to see. There is a fault memory for the headlights, usually if there is a problem with the sensors than a suspension light comes on. I would suspect the back sensor is reading like the rear is loaded down causing the head lights to aim lower. Turn off the level suspension by pushing both the raise and lower buttons at the same time until they light up and raise the rear of the car and look at the l/r suspension sensor.

Thanks again,

I have checked all sensors and the plastic linkages are intakt and the sensor electrics are hooked up - what to do?

There could be corrosion in one of the connectors. Other wise you need to get the fault memory checked in the dynamic headlight module.
Auditech77
Auditech77, ASE Certified Technician
Auditech77
Auditech77
Auditech77, ASE Certified Technician