Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

S only would like to know if this Jade vase could possibly…

Customer Question
For Robert S only would...
For Robert S only would like to know if this Jade vase could possibly be ming....... I bought two scrolls over the weekend I'm sending and close up pics of that Sancai statue .. which I'm going to try to attach to the original post so it stays together. I got the statue under 80!
Brwnjadevse396643
https://imgur.com/a/jk6KtCO
Sancwarrior396654 https://imgur.com/a/n2KoHuO
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Appraisals
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Here are a few more pics of the cover in the inside and bottom
Morejadevas4966543 https://imgur.com/a/1tOm0kz
5/28/2018
Appraiser: Josie-Mod,
 replied 24 days ago
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when the Expert is back online.
Appraiser: Robert S., Appraiser replied 22 days ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Kalina,

Just letting you know I got your latest photos of the jade vase. Do you happen to know if it tests for jadeite or nephrite?

Well done for getting the warrior for such a good price!

Robert.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No idea. I think the dark colors devalue it from what I've been reading. I think due to further research on my end I would rather have u look at the additional close-ups I sent of the sancai and disregard pursuing the vase. Not sure if u have anymore to add?

Hi Kalina,

The most conclusive way to have the jade vase analysed would be to send it to Mason-Kay which, if you remember, I recommended might be a source for polishing your jade bangle.

They have an excellent testing service that's non-invasive and will provide a COA etc. It's not cheap, at around $100, but for an item like this, that could possibly be the real thing, it's certainly worth it.

Jade pieces with this discoloration, where the dark inclusions have been worked into the modeling of the piece, in this case to add emphasis to the chilong dragon on the cover, are considered a cut above the rest, so this piece definitely has some distinction to it.

Also, the carving on Jade from the Ming period tends to look low relief like this, and more simply decorated than, say, late Qing when industrial processes began being used for carving and the carvers could do more elaborate undercutting.

If it were Ming, it's a $5000 piece (retail) at least, and there's nothing I can see in the photos that does not look right, but then that's only photos, and this needs to be looked at in the hand and also tested for Mho-scale hardness, density, opacity etc., by a lapidary specialist.

As for the sancai glazed warrior on a tiger (complete with spider farm inside, I notice!) what an amazing and unusual sculpture this is! I adore this piece, I'm so glad you got him!

As I think I mentioned, this warrior-on-a-tiger composition is based on a much reproduced roof tile of the same design but the addition of a small dog is a whim of this particular artist and makes it unique.

The traditional figure in Chinese mythology that's depicted riding a tiger is the Taoist deity Dhang Daoling (Chang Tao-ling), the "First Master of Heaven". He rides the tiger brandishing a demon-dispelling sword as he escorts the dead to their final destination. However, this guy has no sword and his headgear, a kind of double futou hat, is not the usual one that Dhang Daoling is usually depicted wearing so the tiger may just be a coincidence. Also, it doesn't explain the dog.

The scraffito symbol on the head of the tiger is the character:

王 meaning "King"

so this figure is riding a royal tiger at the very least.

It's a typical example of the 'peoples pottery' of Shiwan (or Shekwan) traditionally in the Foshan area just southwest of Canton in Guangdong province. It used to be sneered at by the purists who considered it 'low-quality fake Song/Tang like ware' but actually is full of artistry and innovation in its own right and one of the few examples Chinese art pottery that does not slavishly copy existing forms.

Shiwan pottery was fired in the famous old "dragon kilns' used since time immemorial where steep hills (needed to create the essential climbing structure of the kiln), a ready source of firewood and clay -as well as water to transport safely the finished goods, were essential to have in close proximity. All four are almost uniquely found in this area on the banks of the Pearl river in Guangdong province.

I think this piece would easily sell retail for $750, so a fair auction re-sale value would be $250 - $375.

Great find!

Robert.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Spider farm.. .. that is hilarious.... You have a good sense of humor like my husband!! I'm sure there's some rule about this as sadly there seems to be so many rules today due to liability issues, but I would love for you to have this piece gratis. You have enriched me with so much information about the Chinese culture this piece wouldn't even come close to repaying you. I've traveled around this world quite a bit... Having been a travel agency manager in the day, but when I'm in China or learning more about her culture my soul sings. This hobby is probably a kin to my husband's affinity for fishing and he LOVES to fish!! Let me know, I could always arrange to drop it off next time im in Chicago. I know the manager of that Asian Heritage Museum and they would be willing to keep it for you or your daughter to pick up. Plus, you should really see that museum sometime. I think you would really enjoy the library they have upstairs for Asian research, it's incredible. They have some new exhibits coming up too as they are always changing. It is a very small museum but well worth visiting as sometimes you're the only one in there with all those old authentic Tang statues and other Antiquities��
Appraiser: Robert S., Appraiser replied 21 days ago

Hi Kalina,

That's a very sweet gesture! You are so kind. Totally unexpected. Though it probably does transgress the small print of on line appraising.

Hang on to it for the time being and maybe we can arrange a drop off as you suggested for my daughter to pick up when she returns to Chicago in August.

Thanks so much for the recommendation of the Asian Heritage Museum, I will indeed check it out when I get a chance.

I do so appreciate and share your passion for the "Celestial Empire", as it was once known, and saying your "soul sings" is such a perfect way to describe the effect it has on one, I do so agree. Always something new and remarkable to wonder at and at the same time, makes one want to start all over again re-visiting previous wonders to see them anew with a more educated eye. It never ends!

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
glad u are considering...I'll save it...spider farm and all as I'll let u handle the best way to clean it. I'll let u know if I get it to Chicago and the name of the people there. I go down about twice a year. I went for the dragon boat races last year ..it was an exciting finish...not sure if I can attach video in just answer....looking forward to the scroll info and remember the vase I bought in China...thatshould still be open..