Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Ms Diana F. Been a while since I have contacted you. But,

Good Day Ms Diana F...
Good Day Ms Diana F. Been a while since I have contacted you. But, here I go again with several items. The first is an antique hand carved/painted Bali (?) figure. I t is 33 inches tall by 7 1/2 inches wide. No damage. The second item is a fireplace screen. The auctioneer said it was Victorian and from London. It measures: 33 1/2 inches tall x 16 1/2 inches wide x 14 1/2 inches deep. The hand painted screen does lift out. The only damage is the back clothe covering...no biggie. That is all for right now. Best always Gary
DSCN8519.JPGDSCN8519.JPGDSCN8520.JPGDSCN8520.JPGDSCN8521.JPGDSCN8521.JPGDSCN8522.JPGDSCN8522.JPGDSCN8523.JPGDSCN8523.JPGDSCN8524.JPGDSCN8524.JPGDSCN8530.JPGDSCN8530.JPGDSCN8531.JPGDSCN8531.JPGDSCN8532.JPGDSCN8532.JPGDSCN8533.JPGDSCN8533.JPGDSCN8534.JPGDSCN8534.JPGDSCN8535.JPGDSCN8535.JPGDSCN8536.JPGDSCN8536.JPG
3/27/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hey Stranger! How are you?

.

I'll be glad to take a look. I have to be away from my desk this morning, but I'll get started as soon as I get home.

~Diana

Hi Gary. Whew. I'm glad to be home. =)

.

Your first piece does look like a Balinese figure. Based on the clothing and headdress, I think that's a polychrome figure of the Goddess Dewi Sri or Shridevi (Goddess of Rice). She's a pre-Hindu goddess of rice and fertility. She's not as widely worshiped or recognized these days, but she is sill worshiped on Java and Bali. She's still a fairly important figure of their culture.

.

It's a polychrome carved statue. Her depiction is a little different. The colors and style of the headdress is a little different, but the sort of winged look is unmistakable. So is the fact that she's showing a little leg. Usually she's covered in a wrap down her legs. The fact she's a wall hanging is an interesting twist. That's usually reserved for busts and masks. I kind of like the design though.

.

The condition is really good. I don't see any real signs of breakage and there's very minimal paint loss. The tone doesn't look quite right to be 19th century. Given her style, she likely dates to around the early to midcentury 20th century (circa 30s give or take a few).

.

Given the larger size, it should be worth about $250 to $300.

.

The auctioneer was right. That looks to be a Victorian Fire Screen. It features an oriental scene. It actually reminds me a little of the old blue willow china patterns. Orientalism was a big fascination in art and design during the 18th and 19th centuries, particularly in England.

I initially thought it was stained oak, but I think that's actually Rosweood. Rosewood wood fit the time frame and country. It has a really great visible grain pattern. I also agree that it's English. These types of screens actually go back to the early 1800s. They range from metal frames with silk embroidery to wooden with more of a heavier tapestry type of material. You'll even find some with really intricate needle point designs and painted glass.

.

The pull up designs were also more adjustable than their folding counterparts. There were also some that slid left to right instead of up. Given the style, I'd say it probably dates to about 1870/1880. I'm surprised the footrest stretcher is just wood. It wasn't uncommon to find those covered in the same material as the screen.

.

Save for the tear on the black cloth covering, it looks to be in really good shape. It has some natural patina to the wood, but there's no damage. Even the original brass handle shows very minimal corrosion.

.
Given that condition, it should be worth about $350 to $400.

.

Let me know if I missed anything. If you have any questions, let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert