Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

S only bronze lady statue ... Also link to sneak preview of…

For Robert S only bronze...
For Robert S only bronze lady statue ... Also link to sneak preview of other cool stuff to browse!!! First set5432 https://imgur.com/a/FEmmK
3/24/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Kalina,

Just letting you know I got the bronze lady.

Will have a look at the link you sent and let you know what I pick out.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks..she is different from what I've seen..do serene.

Hi Kalina,

Yes, this is almost certainly meant to be a depiction of Guanyin (Kwan Yin) and a very nice one with a wonderfully serene expression and great movement in the flow of her robes.

The mark on the base is one of those distracting faux Ming marks that really don't have anything to do with when or where it was made. At best, ***** ***** what I would call 'tribute marks', celebrating the artisans of old, but at worst, deliberately done to make the item seem older than it is.

The seal is for the emperor Xuande who ruled from 1426 - 1435. The six characters read:

大明宣德年製 (Da Ming Xuande nian zhi)

"Great Ming dynasty, emperor Xuande years, made in."

In reality, she dates to the late 19th or early 20th century and we can be pretty sure of that for a couple of reasons. First, in the way she's depicted. This simple attire with no headdress or third eye dot is atypical of Guanyins from the Ming dynasty. Even if she's just a secular figure, not a deity at all, her facial features and robes have an Art Nouveau influence that even the Chinese sculptors found it hard to avoid at the time.

Another feature is the fact that it has a base. Most deity statues that are genuinely of the Ming period are hollow and often contain prayer slips and small scraps of fabric wadded up into the interior by former devotees.

You'll notice, too, that the seal is encircled by two confronting dragons and, very tellingly, the shapes and details are difficult to make out because, due to repeated re-castings, the original mold or molds have become degraded, losing the crispness and definition of the original, a further indication of the piece's comparatively recent date.

Having said that, this is still a VERY nice sculpture. I would estimate it to sell on line (eBay in the range of $700 - $1000. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $2000.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Makes me really want to dig deep and find a ming statue with prayers inside....it would be as close as I would get to a Howard Carter moment!! Thx for the lesson on bronze detail spoiled by molds used over and over...good to know...I'm saving up for something older in this case even though she would be a great meditation piece!

......a Howard Carter moment!

I do so agree!

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser