Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

E only..porcelain desk screen?....looks like it's painted…

For Robert E only..porcelain desk...
For Robert E only..porcelain desk screen?....looks like it's painted well but maybe not so old? Can't wait to hear what it says. This is what I like about Chinese..such a variety of items of art and variety of stories that go with them! I also love the bronze in the photos. I'll send the ? on the statue in a separate email. There are other items in both Imgur links. Feel free to comment on anything really interesting. Prices are not low though. 2nd set6543 https://imgur.com/gallery/dnGMZ
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for Robert S only
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pls route to Robert S
3/24/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Kalina,

Just letting you know I got this one too.

Will have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Very nice looking pieces!

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if anything else looks interesting...they are not posted yet....I mostly liked the statue and plaque...there is a beautiful deep red vase I am getting more closeups of and will prob send. The store in Wisconsin thumb is opening in a month...still plan on seeking out the sancai statue

Hi Kalina,

This is a very nice late 19thC scholar's table screen with a plaque painted in a traditional Qianjiang or literati style of the day with famille rose colors and some astonishingly fine brushwork. However, I can't decipher who this artist is.

The inscription is deliberately written in cursive script that the Chinese call 草书, literally "sloppy writing" which is way above my pay grade to be able to fully read! This is frustrating because most of the Qianjiang painting inscriptions are written this way and result in a lot of head scratching.

What I can tell you is that the poem contains a phrase about "resting on a journey to enjoy an amazing view" and the colophon (in the second last column on the left) is headed with the two character cipher:

癸巳

gui si for the year 1893 which is when it was painted, so it's imperial Qing, Guangxu period.

It's also marked "painted in Zushan".

珠山

Zushan is the Chinese name for "Pearl (white) Mountain" which is located in Jingdezhen – it is the site of the old Imperial kilns- and Jingdezhen was often referred to this overly-romantic way by the literati artists of this period.

Later, Pearl Mountain was adopted as the meeting place for the "Eight Friends of Zhushan" -a group of highly acclaimed porcelain painters whose work sells for astronomical sums- that was formed in the early to mid Republic period, principally the 1920s, and many collectors confuse this old 19th century reference to "Zhushan" as being an indication that the painting was done by one of the Eight Friends, which of course it's not, as the "Friends" had hardly been born at this point, let alone painting.

Having said that this is a good piece and would be worth around $1500 - $2000 at auction. Full retail/replacement value $4,500 in today's market.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert.

PS. The pick of the bunch you sent me is this Kangxi style warrior vase in famille verte colors dating to the Guangxu period (late 1800s). There's no indication of size, but if in the 10" - 14" range is a $700 - $1000 vase at auction. Full retail $2000.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thx...I'll see if any of my contacts in china know someone who can re that script..maybe a university contact...the auctioneer said the warrior vase may have had the bottom replaced after being drilled out previously it does look different..?

Yes! Please do have a Chinese scholar have a look at it. Though even the Chinese themselves struggle with cursive script. I'd be interested to hear what they make of it.

Looking at the warrior vase, if it's had a new bottom attached then it's worth about half the value I gave. It's still a decorative piece, and all hand-painted, but as I always try to remind myself (if no-one else) if you buy a problem, you're going to have to like it, because it's awfully hard to sell a problem.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser