Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

S only. I fell in love with this hand-painted bowl by H & Co…

For Robert S only. I...
For Robert S only. I fell in love with this hand-painted bowl by H & Co limoge France and purchased it for a nominal fee. I've never seen a shape quite like this and I'm not sure what to call it or if it might have much value. I realize that painted China doesn't really have a lot of value now but I think it's nice. The gold is intact as are the paintings. The diameter is 9 and 1/2 in from the back of the handle to what looks like a tip of a spout. The dimension from Back to Front on the bowl is approximately 7 and 1/4 in and it stands about three and three eighths in at its tallest point. I'll photograph it as fully as I can.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Carri,

Thanks for the Limoges Q and photos.

This is a pretty looking piece. Does it have floral painting on both sides? Or just one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has a similar floral pattern on the other side too I'll attach a picture of it. I'm on my phone, and I can't seem to get it to let me attach anything here. So I'll send a photo on separately

Hi Carri,

I'm not sure what you'd call this shape and size of bowl. It looks like a large gravy boat, but would be much too heavy to operate comfortably by the handle, if full. I'm sure the form is purely ornamental, made to look from above like a large leaf with wavy edges. It's very typical of its day, with it's embossed rococo revival motifs mixed with Art Nouveau features like the handle and the large bold floral painting.

What you have is a pretty example of American 'amateur decorated' Limoges porcelain. The H & Co over L (for Limoges) over France in a semicircle is one of the early Haviland & Co marks which they used from 1888 - 1896, so this piece is getting up in years. At this stage in their long & highly successful history of porcelain making, Haviland & Co specialized particularly in the manufacture of blanks for other people and studios to decorate, which is what is happening here.

The individual who painted those pretty dandelions and rococo decor and did the sumptuous gilding on the handle and rim would have been an amateur or hobby china painter. And by 'amateur', that in no way means an 'unskilled' painter, far from it, many were highly skilled, but the term is used to distinguish these private individuals from in-house professional artists working in decorating studios, or in the decorating department of the factory where the porcelain blank was made.

So this piece was made in France, exported to the US as a blank, and decorated here by an amateur china painter, artist unknown.

From the 1860s onward, amateur china decorating became a huge vogue among middle class ladies with lots artistic enthusiasm and spare time -and with the degree of prosperity to afford the necessary muffle kiln to fire the finished artwork at 1000 degrees to fuse it to the china. These ladies took to decorating porcelain with great passion and dedication. In the US alone there were tens of thousands of Victorian and early 20th century amateur decorators of porcelain.

There were periodicals and books available with elaborate patterns that enthusiasts could follow and reproduce and this particular dandelion pattern was probably one of them.

Hobby painted china does have its following of collectors, but prices are generally not that great compared to studio painted pieces. However, this is an unusually early example, and the vessel itself is very attractive. If you saw it for sale in an antique store, say, it would have a full retail price of $175. This is also the 'replacement' value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This piece weighs almost a pound and a half empty, so I agree that putting a sauce or gravy in it would render it unmanageable! Thanks is to small a word for all of the wonderful information you provide. I knew some of it, but not the H & Co. meaning Haviland. There seem to be a several H & Co. and H & Son(s) - it gets confusing for me. Please know that your efforts are very much appreciated!

Thanks, ***** *****'re very kind and appreciative. I sympathize with the Haviland confusion. You're right, it's a mind numbing exercise keeping them all straight, but they all made very beautiful porcelain and sold staggering quantities to the US during The Gilded Age.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser