Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

S only.....here is an agate bottle with Jade cap....the kind…

For Robert S only.....here is...
For Robert S only.....here is an agate bottle with Jade cap....the kind that would fit nicely in the palm.....the tan spots seems to be intentional unfinished pay of porcelain design Agatejade capkms https://imgur.com/gallery/ijDhY
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Got the agate one too!

Many thanks.

Robert.

Hi Kalina,

At first glance this one looked like it might be an example of what's known as an "imitation bottle". That doesn't mean 'fake', it means it's the bottle artist practicing the venerable art of using glass or porcelain to imitate natural materials such as jade, agate, amethyst, coral and so on. "Imitation bottles" are some of the most sought after among collectors.

However, on a closer look, I would say this one is genuine agate, not glass or porcelain stained to look like it, and well carved, not an easy feat with a material that's harder than glass.

The bottle itself is in the form of a fruit, maybe a pear or an eggplant, and carved in relief with another fruit, a gourd, with its leaves and tendril tipped vines.

The word for gourd in Chinese is man 蔓 which can also be pronounced as wan meaning "万" or "10,000". Gourds are noted for the hundreds of seeds they contain, perhaps not 10,000 but it seems like it and so the Chinese associate the gourd with fecundity, literally, a symbol of 10,000 children.

I think the right collector would appreciate this one. It's 20th century, but a nice example that should fetch $80 - $125 at auction. Full retail/replacement value $250.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Great....thanks...I do like this one....the agates are my favorite although I'm parting with a mini opal bottle which was a rare find. They are adding more items to that sale and do presell...if u want to know a price let me know.

Thanks, I'll have another look at it!