Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Doris, I have this porcelain fan shaped wall hanging. It has…

For Doris Only. Hi Doris...
For Doris Only. Hi Doris, I have this porcelain fan shaped wall hanging. It has a beautiful portrait scene in the middle and both sides are painted in iridescent pastel colors. The underside has the number 6598 in red. It is 13.5” across, 7.5” tall, and 1.5” deep. I would like to know how to describe it and it’s value. Thank you once again.
Denese
5DB2BA93-418C-41E4-AFDF...jpeg5DB2BA...jpegD3223302-D62E-4BF8-A41E...jpegD32233...jpeg43FE527B-C7E3-4EE0-8988...jpeg43FE52...jpegD2312B42-79B1-4B47-BE9B...jpegD2312B...jpeg9EEDD448-6CB8-4139-90E2...jpeg9EEDD4...jpeg9BF0C050-DE79-47C1-A29E...jpeg9BF0C0...jpeg360C3CDB-0705-4575-A4E0...jpeg360C3C...jpeg
1/19/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

Welcome! Doris here.

I am away from my computer for a short while.

I am on my phone.

I will work on this as soon as I get back to my computer.

You will be first.

My best to you,

Doris

Thank you Doris.

This is a mid 20thC hand painted Austrian porcelain wall hanging. It features classically robed Greek women with a view of Greek trading ships in the background.

Greek ships

"Greek ships had sails, and were pushed along by the wind. Small trading ships usually stayed close to the shore, so the sailors did not get lost. Before a voyage, the sailors prayed to the sea god Poseidon, for a safe journey.

Greek warships had oars as well as sails. The largest warships had three banks of oars and were called triremes. A trireme needed 170 men to row it - one man to each oar. It had a long narrow deck that soldiers could run along and fight from. The oarsmen sat underneath the deck."

The estimated retail value in a high end shop would be $400-500.

If you are selling retail privately, you should ask $300-375.

Again,

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Awesome, thank you so much.
Denese

You are welcome.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser