Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Not sure if I did this correctly .I tried to rate ,sign out…

Customer Question
Robert Not sure if I did...
Robert
Not sure if I did this correctly .I tried to rate ,sign out ,and re-ask the question about the Paris painting by Chinese artist ? What do u know ? Off duty for infirmary now, until the Tylenol? Or Motrin wears off during the night ......
Best wishes
Sincerely
Sarah
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appraisals
1/17/2018
Appraiser: Robert S., Appraiser replied 7 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Sarah,

All is good, you did everything just perfectly! Thank you.

I'll have something for you on Gu Gongdu as soon as I can. Everything still a little chaotic here, my wife much better today and ready to return to work but I had to drive her there, due to her terror of snow and ice (she's a Southern belle, so we give her a full pass) and two inches of crisp dry snow is nothing but a light frost to this wannabe polar explorer.

I hope your crew are improving and there are no further flu casualties.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Thanks much for your efforts hope to hear what u come up with soon.. It was the same "hecticness" here today. This is the first opportunity that I had all day to view your response.we are partially on the mend . 2 kids back to school today ( begrudgingly) another going back tomorrow . But the sickest one ( 12 year old nephew / foster ) who actually wants to go back to school , cannot be he is just too weak,.he is so skinny to begin with couldn't keep practically any food down lost 4 lbs! Tami g him back to dr. Tomorrow 715 am ( yes,that is when our office opens, I do 715 am shift for years ) he may AB in addition to Family We will see. and my 17 yr old bio son may have hernia he has had this in the past and he was in pain and he didn't call me to pick him up ,he just came home from school at 1030 pm ( yup 1030 every night ,since 730 am !) And he loves it ! And he's an honor student ( I can't see myself putting up with that schedule ! I don't miss school one bit and I graduated in 1981 !!!. The good thing about going to the dr at 715 am is that , it's quicker , especially since it's been a madhouse BC there is a flu epidemic. This happens every winter but this winter is a killer ! We had this about 8 winters ago . It was a disaster . We were seeing / processing about 400 to 500 patients daily ! But we have 20 practitioners . Our pediatric practice is probably the largest/ busiest in the country. Not kidding !!
We once were audited by UHC JERSEY CARE ,BC they didn't believe that we were seeing as many patients as we were reporting . So they actually had a person sitting around our office for a full month ! You have to see it to believe it . The practice is pediatric affiliates and my boss is Dr. Robert Thank He's 70 and going strong , stronger then the other 20 practitioners! He,s an incredible person and I feel that it's truly an honor to work for him .but one really has to be on their toes and perform BC it's a very fast paced environment. But I love this job , I have worked here for 15 years . but I have been off in recent past due to surgery that I had in November. Hope to return to work soon . So my husband is taking them tomorrow to dr. Btw, did u have a chance to see that picture that I sent u the other day of my great grandfather and PM Thomas Masaryk? It must have been the day that your wife didn't feel well? Wondering what u thought ? That is actually a famous archive photo *****
My boss is Dr. Robert Shanik ( that was a typo in previous text ) as I said , UHC audited us BC they didn't believe it ! But after observing for a FULL MONTH , THEY WERE IN AWE ! SO NOW, UHC , ( UNITED HEALTH CARE ) actually
Provides our office staff with lunch every Thursday, and they usually send us a dr. Or professor to give a lecture or teach us about a new vaccine or whatever ... It keeps us up to date and informed .... But like u said ... Let's not get started on health care in the USA, BC we will never end .
I called both Christie's and Sotheby's, I liked Christie's better ( your first suggestion) I don't know why I felt this way , but I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out? One never knows ?
Hope your wife feels better .
Looking forward to see what u come up with regarding the Chinese artist who paints , "Paris"?

This is a very nice painting of the Eiffel Tower and a cut above the normal tourist art, for sure. It's also a fascinating "chop suey" of East-meets-West in watercolor technique. For instance, it has examples of traditional Chinese landscape painting -as in the 'lost & found' shapes of the clouds . Also, the use of one hue of neutral grey is particularly Chinese, as opposed to western impressionists' use of many hues of broken color that coalesce from a distance into one.

On the other hand, the figures are all painted in a typically western way and, most interesting of all, it was painted on an easel rather than the usual way for Chinese watercolor, which is with the paper laid flat. You can tell it was painted while vertical by the way the wet paint has piled and darkened at the lower end of the brushstrokes in the trees, for instance. This is a brave thing for a Chinese artist to do, and would be well outside his comfort zone! But gives it an authentic en plein air freshness and spontaneity that Chinese paintings often lack. Having said that, one of the Chinese literati artist's prime objectives is to craft this spontaneity, and must learn and practice all sort of shorthands of carefully calculated brushtrokes to do so, but the end result is not quite as satisfying, in my opinion, because there's less focus on what's going on with the subject than there is with what's happening on the canvas (or paper).

Gu Gongdu (b.1941-)

He was born in Qidong, in Jiangsu Province, a promontory just across the mouth of the Yangtze river from Shanghai, attended the School of Fine Arts, Shanghai, from 1959 where he showed such exceptional talent that he stayed on to teach as an assistant professor. Gu continued to teach in China for the next 21 years and meanwhile participated in numerous national & international exhibitions in Beijing, Shanghai, USA, Japan, Switzerland, France and Denmark.

In 1986 he was invited to visit and work in France which is most likely the period when your picture dates to. In Paris, he learned the craft of formal Western art and immersed himself completely into the artworld of Paris and Europe, becoming a member of the National Society of Fine Arts of France.

Gu is also an acclaimed portrait painter. He made a name for himself painting well-known artists in Shanghai and while in France has painted many Parisian personalities such as the Mayor of Paris, the Director of the National School of Applied Arts, Sothebys Director in Europe, The Vatican Ambassador to the UN in Geneva, the Director of the Geneva Museum and Her Highness Princess Von Bismarck.

So as for value, it's always hard to put a price on the artwork of an artist still living. Very few artists are well known enough, and collected enough, to have gained the sort of value where prices on the secondary market (auctions and on line sale, for instance) have equaled or exceeded the price they sold for at exhibition and this artist is not one of those few quite yet. However he's definitely one to hang on to and watch improve with time. At present the most you could hope for at auction for a Gu Gongdu of this size, subject matter and artistic merit would be $150 - $225. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $450.

Hope this helps!

Robert.

PS. Hope everyone chez vous is on the mend! What a season you seem to be having and a great account of the extraordinary achievements of your pediatric practice. Well done! Dr Shanik sounds like a medical rock star.

I also enjoyed your fascinating account of famous forebears in Palestine and the photo which reminds me of those that were in my grandfather's archive of stuff. Grandfather visited the Middle East many times during the Second World War on military matters, stayed in the King David Hotel, Jerusalem in November 1943 with the combined American and British Chiefs of Staff, met all the local dignitaries including the chief rabbi, your great, great grandfather's successor, no doubt. This would have been eleven years after Rabbi Sonnenfeld died (1932) I just looked him up. So much history!

Whoa! Your incredible ! Firstly ,interesting about " my painting ".I purchased this painting about 20 years ago. I vaguely remember the artist . My mother in law was born in Belgium , November 1934. She and her family escaped Belgium during ww2. They ended up in Casablanca ,Morocco till after the war,when they returned to Antwerp. About 20 years ago ,she decided to take " her girls " on a trip to Antwerp so that we could see where she grew up. It was a " ladies only " trip meaning ,my mil myself , and my two sisters in !aw. She decided that not only would we go to Belgium, we would also go to Paris and London, sooooo, we took a flight to Belgium with a two day stop over in London, then, Antwerp,. Then on way back to USA, stopover in Paris. While my sisters in law shopped for designer clothing and perfume, I was fascinated by the street painters . They kind of snickered at me. ( Lol) and that's how I ended up purchasing these paintings. We had a private tour guide. He was about to take us to the Louvres,but last minute decided to take us to versailles first and a boat trip on Le Sienna AND, then go to The Louvres.i n the meantime, had we been at The Louvres when he originally was thinking about taking us, we would have been stuck inside for several hours ! Apparently, during that particular time, a famous painting was stolen ! So the museum was on " lockdown" nobody was allowed in or out for hours !! They searched everyone and everything ! The painting was never recovered. It was thought to be an Inside job?
Regarding your grandfather visiting " Palestine", that is fascinating ,and I'm flattered that u actually took the time to look it up. I believe that the chief rabbi of Jerusalem after rabbi sonnenfeld ,was either Rabbi Dushinsky, or Rabbi Bengis .
I will work on next question , hopefully by tomorrow
Allthebest
Sarah
Appraiser: Robert S., Appraiser replied 6 months ago

What a wonderful memory! Bought direct from the artist himself! You can't get more authentic than that!