Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

1/14/2018
Angela--Mod
I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Thank you for your patience.
Best,
Angela
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi! This is Robert here, again. Just letting you know I got the RELCO (Japan) plate.

Answers coming as soon as I can.

Many thanks,

Robert.

Hi there,

You guessed correct, this piece is of no great value, but is a perfect time capsule of what "Made in Japan" giftware looked like in the 1950s. The highly burnished, almost brassy-looking gold enamel is so typical of the period. The shape is loosely based on an 18th century Dresden rococo plate with a pierced, basketweave rim and the central bouquet is a color decal (print) that's additionally heightened by hand painting to add a little extra depth of color.

RELCO Japan were an American import company that specialized in novelty wares, particularly figurines, mostly with a Christmas theme. They are best known today for their elegant, hand-painted head vases of fashionable beauties from the 1950s and early 1960s which have become quite collectible. If you had anything like this with a RELCO sticker it would be worth over $200.

Sadly your plate, not so much. Maybe $10 - $15 if you sold at auction or on line. Replacement/retail value: $20.

Hope this is helpful!
Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser