Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Ms. Diana F. Attached is a couple of pictures of a small…

Hello Ms. Diana F. Attached...
Hello Ms. Diana F. Attached is a couple of pictures of a small bowl. It is old and at first I thought it was American Indian. Bit the more I look at it and it's bottom, the more I don't think it is. It measures: 5.5 inches in diameter x 4 1/2 inches high. It feels like pottery, but than again not. Good luck. Gary
1/14/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi Gary.

Whew. I don't know. I don't think it's Native American. The coloring definitely makes you think that, but the base doesn't look right and it's missing the usually glossy or carved accents you tend to find in Native American pottery.

.

I'm thinking Japanese. I'll take a closer look and see what I can find. =)

~Diana

You mentioned that it feels like pottery, but then again not. What makes you say that? Is it too light or something?

Texture and sound..,a little more metallic around the rim

Interesting. I was thinking maybe it's a Raku piece, but that description doesn't fit. While Raku tends to look metallic and for lack of a better word, a bit crusty, there's not really a metallic sound. Hmmmm

Hi Gary.

Whew. I think I have covered just about every continent on this one. I ran through everything from some of the black pottery that was produced in Mexico to the pottery produced in Northwestern regions of Spain, like Asturias or Gundivos. I have to admit the particular way the black doesn't have a consistent shine and texture is very similar to what's come out Spain. That being said, I just don't think it's from there.

.
You can see a sampling of what I mean here:

.

http://www.artesaniadeasturias.es/Tienda-Online/?cc=4

.

There's something about that particular style that doesn't match up to me. I keep coming back to some of the more unusual firing techniques. It's definitely looks wheel thrown. If you look at the inside, you can see the rings. This is usually an effect created by forming the piece as it spins. You also wind up with a pretty distinct foot/base because of that too.

.

It doesn't look mass produced. I think your piece is a studio art piece. It was probably made by an artist in your area. Given the quality, I'd say probably a college student. It's well done, but has just enough crude-ness for me think it was made by someone still developing their style and skill. Why the artist didn't sign it I don't know. It's a shame. Most artist signatures or chop marks can't be tracked down, but at least you "know" it's signed. Most of the kids back in art school didn't sign their pieces either. It used to really bug me. lol

.

I think this piece was smoke fired. Generally to smoke figure you either have to let your clay completely dry out or you can do a initial bisque fire. I'd say it was probably bisque fired because that will strengthen the clay so it can handle smoke firing. Then it's put in an outdoor kiln that can range from what's essentially a brick oven to a metal trash can. You can use items like sawdust and woodchips as fuel. Some will add combustibles, like leaves, pine needles, salt, etc. These items work to give the piece unique texture. It's more or less like the Japanese Raku technique if you're familiar with that.

.

Once it's lit, your piece is left in until all the materials burn out. Your piece will smoke and smolder the entire time creating all various tones of color. You can wind up with pieces that look like this:

https://imgur.com/a/YaCre

https://imgur.com/a/iKaQH

https://imgur.com/a/mQ8vD

.

I think it's an old smoke fired pottery piece. It's harder to date given the technique has been done since pottery was basically invented, but I'd wager it's probably closer to the late 20th century rather than mid 20th century (circa 80s/90s)

.

Given the technique and artistry, something like this will be worth about $100 to $125. Had I made it, I'd probably tag it at $125 and see how quickly it moves.

.

If you have any questions, let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert
Morning Ms Diana F. Can't leave a bonus as the box won't let me. Will try later. Thought I would provide you with a bit of information. On the Moreau lamp that you appraised last week, I had a question from a potential buyer on it and I didn't know the answer. so, I had to do some research. Lo and behold I found the exact same lamp and it was done by Hyppolyte Moreau! He had different signatures and one was Hte Moreau. The exact one I found was sold on Etsy and of course they did not show what it sold for. Anyway, just thought you might be interested in that fact. Back to the bonus and review box... It says review...so I write a review but there is no box to check off for bonus. Please advise. Gary

Hi Gary.

Don't worry about that. =) I"m just happy to help.

.

I'm definitely interested. Thanks for coming back to tell me. That's amazing, but how did you find it? I found quite a few of the central figure, which is I wound up on the Lorenzl trail. One of which used to be on Etsy, but I didn't see the lamp at all.

.

It must be the first Hyppolyte. The 2nd was part of the LF Moreau signature and as far as I know didn't do any work on his own. Now I'm off to see what I can find. =)

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert