Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I am trying to find the value of a 1947 imperforate

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find the value of a 1947 imperforate souvenier sheet 5cent Franklin twenty cent washington

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I really don't even know how I happened to have the item

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is in good condition not cancelled

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appraisals
12/19/2017
Appraiser: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 4 months ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! These were saved in large quantities, so they are more common than one would expect! A souvenir uncut sheet of 1947 5-cent Franklin stamps in good condition would be around $12 to $15 at a stamp show.

Please rate my professionalism in addressing answer using the JustAnswer 5-star system. Rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.

Did not clearly answer my question

Let me know what you're looking for more specifically. Happy to help as I work with stamps. let me know: 1) year 2) denomination 3) number of stamps to the sheet 4) design on stamp.

Alternately, you can attach photos using the paperclip function.

I wanted value of imperforate souvenir sheet New York N.Y., May 17 - 25, 1947 100TH ANNIVERSARY UNITED STATES POSTAGE STAMPS

Thank you for clarifying. The value of an Imperforate U.S. #948, 5¢ and 10¢ CIPEX Souvenir Sheet, Issue Date: May 19, 1947, City: New York, NY, is from an original production of 10,299,600 by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is typically just a few dollars (see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Scott-948-SOUVENIR-SHEET-1947-100th-Anniversary-Postage-Stamps-All-MINT-/130759835761)

As Mystic writes, "U.S. #948 commemorates the 100th anniversary of America’s first postage stamps. This souvenir sheet bears reproductions of America’s first two postage stamps. When cut from the souvenir sheet, these stamps were actually valid U.S. postage. The souvenir sheet was sold at the Centenary International Philatelic Exhibition in Grand Central Palace in New York City from May 17 to 25, 1947.

Honoring America’s First Postage Stamps
The first United States Postage Stamps, the 5¢ and 10¢ issues of 1847, began a new era in mail service. Before adhesive stamps revolutionized the U.S. postal system, letters were marked “Paid” by pen and ink, and by various hand-stamping devices.

America’s first postage stamps went on sale on July 1, 1847. As a nation, America was taking shape at that time, and these stamps played an important part in its growth.

The 5¢ issue of 1847 (Scott #1) features a portrait of Benjamin Franklin. Franklin is credited with organizing America’s postal service back in the 1700s. On July 26, 1775, he was appointed by the Continental Congress as the first Postmaster General of the Confederation – which was of great importance to communications during the Revolutionary War. The 10¢ issue of 1847 (Scott #2) pictures ***** *****, Revolutionary War hero and the first U.S. President."

Hope that this helps and I'm sorry it's not worth more, but it does have great historical value.

ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser