Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

Diana F. Hope you have had a I have several items that I

Hello Diana F. Hope you...
Hello Diana F. Hope you have had a good day. I have several items that I need assistance on. I could do them separately but that is time consuming for both. So, I am going to do them all now...hope that is okay. The 1st is an large egg on a stand The egg is over 15 inches tall and is hand painted and does have crazing. The 2nd is an art deco lamp with a chrome globe that is coated inside...very unique. The 3rd is a oriental tilt top table that has been hand painted and does have raised relief. The 4th is wall plaque that I think is chalkware but could be wrong. The 5th is my daughter-in-laws item which she thinks is a wampum trade shell/bead necklace which is very fragile and it has been put in a small case to preserve it. Wow, thank you...will take care of you at end. Gary Will send more of Holli's pic reached limit here
DSCN7228.JPGDSCN7228.JPGDSCN7229.JPGDSCN7229.JPGDSCN7230.JPGDSCN7230.JPGDSCN7231.JPGDSCN7231.JPGDSCN7232.JPGDSCN7232.JPGDSCN7233.JPGDSCN7233.JPGDSCN7234.JPGDSCN7234.JPGDSCN7235.JPGDSCN7235.JPGDSCN7236.JPGDSCN7236.JPGDSCN7237.JPGDSCN7237.JPGDSCN7238.JPGDSCN7238.JPGDSCN7239.JPGDSCN7239.JPGDSCN7240.JPGDSCN7240.JPGDSCN7241.JPGDSCN7241.JPGDSCN7242.JPGDSCN7242.JPGDSCN7243.JPGDSCN7243.JPGDSCN7244.JPGDSCN7244.JPGDSCN7246.JPGDSCN7246.JPGholli pic 1.jpgholli p...jpgholli pic 2.jpgholli p...jpg
12/8/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi Gary.
I'm not doing too bad. We finally cold winter weather here, so I'm not too happy about that. I hope you're doing well.

.

I'll be glad to take a look at these. I'll let you know if I run into any questions. =)

~Diana

Hi Gary.

I just wanted to let you know the site just informed me that the site will down for maintenance a little later tonight. I'm hoping I'll be done with your question, but just in case I'm not, will posting your answer tomorrow be okay?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Morning Ms Diana F. Just wanted to add one more thing concerning the art deco lamp. The previous owner must have painted it white (did a terrible job doing so). I started stripping it and the original color is chrome. I will complete the stripping and leave it the natural finish which very nice. I believe that will increase the value. Look forward to the appraisals. Your favorite fan, Gary

Hi Gary.
Your egg is a bit of an odd one. It's an egg shaped box (or casket depending on the collector). It's a floral painted porcelain egg on a gilt footed base. Smaller ones were more like trinket boxes. Very large ones could be find holding barware. Yours is in between. It's more of the size that would have held perfume bottles. It likely had a sort of velvet insert that would have held nice crystal bottles. Most came out of Russia, like with most porcelain, the style was copied by everyone from companies here in the US to Japan.

.

I did find another version of yours:

https://imgur.com/a/pSJgk

.

Same base, different painting style, but this one leads more clues to where it came from. A russian egg wouldn't really have cherubs. The painting style looks more Italian out of the 30s/40s to me.

.

The condition is fantastic. It has a gorgeous floral and scroll design. Given the style and size, it should be worth about $175 to $225.

.

With your lamp, I thought that was the case. I was going to ask you about it this morning when the site was back up and running. I was looking at the pictures up close and I thought I could see brush marks. I think probably the figure and the base were both painted at some point. Not that some of these weren't white, it's just that it's very uncommon. Most of these art deco figural lamps had a dark colored base (metal or marble) and metallic looking figures. They actually remind me a lot of your eagle bookends.

.

Your lamp is a little different because the spheres were often used as a sort of prop. The figures usually interact with like, like a ball. Yours is more 2 individual element, with a nymph like figure gazing into it like a mirror.

.

These globes or shades are usually called mercury shades. The two main companies that made pieces like these were Nuart and Frankart though there were dozens of unknowns. Your style looks a bit more like Nuart, though I couldn't find it in their old catalogs.

.

https://imgur.com/a/YBrA4

You have the original cords, which is actually pretty cool (even if it's a bit of a firehazard). It should date to the mid to late 1920s. I think if you can get it stripped and restored, it'll be worth about $550 to $650

.

Your table is an Asian style tilt top. I've always found these kind of neat. They were originally popular during the Victorian era and featured handpainted and paper mache. The 2nd wave came more around the 40s/50s, which is when yours likely dates. They were generally used as serving tables (like for tea). Then when they weren't in use, the top would be flipped and they'd be placed against a wall. The top acted a bit like a work of art.

.

Your table has a handpainted scene featuring what looks like floating houses; similar to what you find in SouthEast asia. It had golden flora and latticework accents. It has a beveled edge top, with splayed and reeded legs.

.

It should date to about the 40s/50s. In that condition, it'll be worth about $300 to $350.

.

Your next piece is a 3d wall plaque made by Universal Statuary. They were a Chicago based statue company founded in the 30s. Originally they made banks, large statues for restaurants and stores, but by the 50s, they'd pretty much taken over the home decor market. Most of their pieces were plaster and chalkware. During the 70s they moved more toward their own version of resin along with plastic.

.

Your piece is mold #156 from their catalog. They call it a Colonial Figure Plaque: Man and woman in fancy attire; sitting on a bench. It's a molded resin type of material. The scene is actually a courting/proposal scene. It was made in 1971..

.
Sadly Universal Statuary doesn't have a huge value, but it does have collectors. In good shape, it's worth about $50 to $60.

.

Lastly your daughter-in-law's necklace. I agree that it's a currency or trade necklace. The shells look more like cowrie shells to me. Wampum shells are from the Eastern US, but cowrie shells tend to be more from African, Asia and the South Pacific. Wampum shells are made from whelk shells or clam shells and often carved into something more like beads. Hers look like they have the little serrated look center you find more with cowrie.

.

Shells were used by many cultures as currency well into the mid 1800s. In fact, in many areas of Africa and the South Pacific, cowrie shells are still used. The way the necklace is strung, looks a bit more like some of the pieces that have come out of Papau New Guinea.

.

https://imgur.com/a/TPTPH

.

It possible it's African, but I think it's turn of the century cowrie trade necklace from Papau New Guinea (possibly the Sepik region based on the designs I'm seeing). By my count is has about 90 shells. It's really in fantastic condition for it's age. It should be worth about $150 to $200

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great weekend!
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi Gary.
Thank you for the bonus. That was very unexpected and I really do appreciate it. =) I hope you're having a great week.

Best wishes,

Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert