Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have a Koehler spinet/upright from 1950...need to know…

I have a Koehler Campbell...
I have a Koehler Campbell spinet/upright from 1950...need to know approx value and if it is worth keeping
12/8/2017
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

TylerOrganist
TylerOrganist, Master's Degree

Hi, thanks for your question! I am a musical instrument appraiser and can help you with your piano.

Spinet pianos were the smallest type of upright made and would measure in between 35-40" tall. They were a product of the difficult times of the great depression and were the piano industry's attempt at staying in business by producing these cheaper pianos. In addition to shorter strings and a smaller soundboard, they also had a "drop key" action which felt different than the key action of a larger upright. For these reasons, spinets are no longer made.

Kohler & Campbell was a well known American piano company for years, but have now been out of business for a while. The name is ***** ***** on some Asian built pianos.

Based on the maker, size, and age of your piano and considering depreciation in value over nearly 70 years since built, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $350-$600 in a private sale. As far as keeping, that is up to you and what you would want it for. I would personally invest in a larger piano if you are going to use it and enjoy it often. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thanks!

Thank you for your patience.

Pianos and spinets are a bit of a 'hard sell' on today's market.

Realistically, at auction, a vintage Kohler Campbell upright/spinet sells at auction for upwards of only $150.

The best method for divesting would be through donation. Salvation Army has a great program that provides freight pick-up of large items and you can enter a tax donation receipt with the IRS for the year it was donated.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Mr. B.Taylor also have me an appraisal which was excellent but I lwas not given the stars to rate him!