Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have an Agatha christie By the pricking of my thumbs 1968

Customer Question
copyright Agatha christie ltd. Black...
I have an Agatha christie By the pricking of my thumbs 1968 copyright Agatha christie ltd. Black dj that looks like first US edition with price of $4.95. Does not have publishing house on the spine or on the dj. The book is in English except Under the copyright is in Chinese. I have translated it to Datong book company along with address and telephone number. Guangda printing factory Roosevelt rd Taipei and republic of china 1st edition registration certificate number. Also has other info. This is the best I can do on translating it. I would like info on this book. I have been told it's possibly a pirated edition without ever being looked at or the Chinese translated. I can't find any info on line or anyone who is familiar with this edition
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appraisals
12/6/2017
Appraiser: Rarewares, Other replied 1 month ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Other

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Appraiser: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 month ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

See an article on the pirating in China

http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat9/sub61/item356.html

Then see the true first 1968 printing of this Agatha Christie novel by Dodd, Mead & Co in the following image.

As you can see the dust jacket matches yours exactly.

This true first edition sold for $405 on eBay in 2017 but it was signed by the author herself.

The only book that sold more copies than the Agatha Christie novels is the Bible which has been printed since the 1450s.

Yours is definitely a pirated copy apparently printed by a Chinese company.

The estimated retail of your book is $76-90.

How to sell books:
http://www.internetbookselling.com/sell-old-books.html

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction (Buy It Now format is often close to retail) can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does this publisher exist and what year was it published. What is the registration number on the book. All the info provided is basic web search info. Why can't I find anyone who has a similar copy or true info on this book

Datong Books does exist which you may have found online at

http://datongbooks.com/zh/

I did not know you wanted to know the year of publication of this pirated book as that was not specifically mentioned in your original question.

No reputable book dealer will admit to having this book because it is a pirated version. That is why there is no information on it. It does not have a registration number. If it came into the USA, it would have been smuggled in or brought back by a traveler.

If you wish, I can opt out here and release your question to the other appraisers in the hope that they will be able more specific information.

Let me know.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser