Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Have 5 pieces of art by Roderic Montagu. Trying to sell for…

Customer Question
Have 5 pieces of...

Have 5 pieces of art by Roderic Montagu. Trying to sell for a client.This is not my field of expertise. Just trying to educate myself before making contact with an art dealer.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I was told these 5 pieces had been in a museum at one point and they all coordinate including the frames. On the back of the art the following is typed (by a typewriter), "Ascole Piceno" by Montagu"

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appraiser should be aware of?

Art Lore is also on the back along with For re-order F58-903

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appraisals
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Appraiser: Erin-Marie Wallace, Owner & CEO of Rare-Era.com replied 7 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, Owner & CEO of Rare-Era.com

Greetings, it would be my pleasure to assist you with this request. My name is ***** ***** I have a Master's Degree from Sotheby's Institute London and am also a licensed auctioneer and appraiser.

Here's a little background on the artist to acquaint yourself..... Roderic Montagu O'Connor (French-born Irish-American, 1907-2001), AKA Roderic Montagu, was a noted impressionist painter and muralist primarily known for his compositions of Roman architectural ruins, Venetian scenes, portraits, landscapes and still life scenes.

He was born October 29, 1907 in Clamart, France, a commune in the southwestern suburbs of Paris. He was the son of the well-known American-Irish sculptor Andrew O'Connor who had settled in Paris (c.1903) with his wife Jessie, and the couple had four sons to include; Hector, Owen, Roderick and Patrick who was also a noted artist & sculptor.
Roderic first came to the United States in 1914 with his family and they settled in Paxton, MA. Over the course of his career, Roderic had lived and exhibited in London, Dublin, Paris, New York, and Florida, including the Societé des Artistes annual Salon exhibition, Paris 1938, as well as other Paris Salons throughout his lifetime, and also had many portraits exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy (RHA) in Dublin, Ireland.
In addition, Roderic had exhibited paintings with his brother Patrick at Daniel Egan's Gallery in Dublin (1932), and they had also previously exhibited together in Jack Seligman's Gallery in Paris.
Throughout his career, Roderic maintained studios in Paris, Rome, and London, and later in Palm Beach, FL.

Most of his paintings are completed in watercolor and/or gouache (let me know if you have any questions about these mediums). When his paintings come up at auction they range between $75USD and have sold for as much as $375USD. This is considered the Fair Market Value and represents prices actually paid. Once these pieces are in a gallery, you can expect retail prices to be at least 3 times the average auction price, as examples, here are two which are each priced for $1500USD. The large variation is because gallery owners can change their retail pricing depending upon regional tastes, market variations and personal choice.

Let's begin here and if you have any additional questions, please ask. Otherwise I hope this will be of use to you. When you have a moment please rate my services using the star system above. Please keep in mind, I only receive compensation for my answer once you have rated me positively, thus, your 5-star rating is most appreciated.

Cheers!

Erin-Marie