Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

This is the 3rd one. This is a Chinese hand carved

jardiniere. It can uld a...
This is the 3rd one. This is a Chinese hand carved jardiniere. It can uld a large vase. There are no markings and needs to be reconditioned (which I can do). My wife about killed me for getting it, but I thought it would be good for the large yellow jardiniere you appraised. Please advise. Gary
DSCN9795.JPGDSCN9795.JPGDSCN9796.JPGDSCN9796.JPGDSCN9797.JPGDSCN9797.JPGDSCN9798.JPGDSCN9798.JPGDSCN9799.JPGDSCN9799.JPGDSCN9800.JPGDSCN9800.JPG
11/21/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi Gary.

.

Oh yeah. That would be a good stand for it. LOL. It's not that bad. I think a little sandpaper and some new paint and it'll be pretty good. I'll be glad to take a look.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I will be refinishing by sanding and then finishing it in a high gloss black finish. When done, any estimate as to value? Like I noted I plan to use it for the large jardinier you appraised earlier. So I would like to add value of this to make it a complete set.

Hi Gary. Thank you so much for the bonus and those positive ratings. =)

.

I think I looked at this one for nearly half an hour trying to figure out exactly what the design is. I thought at first it might be a fish (like a dolphin fish) because when they're head down / tail up, that's more of a fish design than a dragon. I do see a lot of flowing "hair" off the side of the head that's more indicative of a Chinese dragon. I see the scales and maybe hints of legs too. I think I remember reading once that a Chinese dragon is made up of like koi scales, camel head, tiger paws and a few other animals, which make it fun to pick them out of carved motifs.

.

Judging by the style, I think you're looking at a circa 1940s export carved wooden plant stand with a dragon motif. It features a carved dragon legs with an orientation of the head as the feet with the body extending up into the apron. The apron itself features what looks like carved clouds. I'm a little surprised it doesn't feature a marble inlay. Solid wood top is actually a little less common with these pieces.

.

It probably was black and someone painted it gold. I can't really see any raw wood to tell you what it might be. I don't think it's old rosewood. I can't see why anyone would cover up rosewood. Camphor wood you'd likely smell. It could be teak or maybe nanmu. Both were pretty popular alternatives.

.

I wouldn't even try to remove that gold. Ebony is a fantastic idea. Restored, you'll be looking at about $275 to $325. Does that keep you out of the doghouse?

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert