Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Diana F. I have several new purchases that I need your

Hello Diana F. I have...
Hello Diana F. I have several new purchases that I need your assistance on. I will be list each separately. The first is a Tantalus from 1860's? From my quick research it appears this was also used for gaming. It has 3 cut glass decanters (no issues). The piece needs a little work, but overall in good condition. Has the key, and when you open the top panels you will see a button. Push the button down and a drawer opens with compartments. Pull the drawer out more and there is a hand crafted cribbage board. the top over the decanters is very ornate and has been hand carved. So what do you think? Gary
DSCN9786.JPGDSCN9786.JPGDSCN9787.JPGDSCN9787.JPGDSCN9788.JPGDSCN9788.JPGDSCN9789.JPGDSCN9789.JPGDSCN9790.JPGDSCN9790.JPGDSCN9791.JPGDSCN9791.JPGDSCN9792.JPGDSCN9792.JPGDSCN9793.JPGDSCN9793.JPGDSCN9794.JPGDSCN9794.JPG
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi Gary.
What a fantastic piece. It definitely has an unusual design. That's a fairly good estimation of the date.

.

The design overall looks to be a late Victorian design. I'd put it around 1880 or so and English. These are generally called a Games Tantalus because of the little extra compartment. It's an intricately carved oak tantalus featuring an almost floral like design. It's a bit unusual compared to what I usually see. It also has what looks like brass mounts and handles. It also features 3 cut glass square decanters with faceted stoppers housed in a compartment with a mirror back. The bottles have a bit of what they call a button design.

.

The games drawer is opened by a hidden button which you discovered. The top compartment would be used to hold your drinking glasses, while the bottom would hold more of your chips, cards, etc. and I wouldn't be surprised if it even held a cigar or two. These were a bit like a traveling game night. I have seen some that store their chips in the top to take the place of any missing glasses.

.

The condition is actually pretty amazing. I looked pretty closely at all the photos and couldn't really seen any chips in your bottles, which is great. The wood has some minimal wear along your edges, but nothing that's not really expected with a piece that old. The two lids still fit fairly well and don't seem to be too skewed or misaligned. All the compartments looks to be in good shape and good working order. Major plus that you have the original key. You could polish the mounts and the wood, but I don't think I would go so far as to try re-staining it. You might put new liner in the drawers. Other than that, not bad.

.

In good shape, these generally go for about $250 to $300 at auction, but in a private sell up where you are, you should be looking closer to $550 to $650. There's be much more interest in your area than mine. I have seen some of your very high end antique stores be able to get nearly $1000, but those are fully restored and near mint.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

I will be adding various items to it. I have over 250 decks of vintage and antique playing cards with 10 or 12 from that era. Also, I have Bakelite chips and dice I can add...would that be good to add?

Definitely. All of those would be great. Not only would it be a bonus for the buyer, but it makes for a very attractive display.

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert
You bet, I will rate and leave bonuses when you are done. Thank you so much for your assistance.