Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

S only....rooster bowl...Nisse looks innocent but she is…

For Robert S only....rooster bowl...Nisse...
For Robert S only....rooster bowl...Nisse looks innocent but she is neurotic....if this bowl is valuable, I will need to move it right away!!!
20171023_204459.jpg2017102...jpg20171007_221604.jpg2017100...jpg20171021_204406.jpg2017102...jpg20171007_221355.jpg2017100...jpg20171007_221630.jpg2017100...jpg20171007_221535.jpg2017100...jpg20171007_221419.jpg2017100...jpg20171007_221429.jpg2017100...jpg20171007_221502.jpg2017100...jpg
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Kalina,

Just letting you know I got the bowl (and Nisse!)

will let you know in the morning, it's getting near bedtime here!

Have a great night!

Robert

Sounds good..i may get some shut eye as well...Nisse has long gone to sleep so the bowl should be ok til morn!!

Hi Kalina!

Great photos of Nisse and her paw! You can see every hair of her fur.

I notice there may be an inscription on the outside of the bowl (in blue) near the rim, part of which seems to be showing here.

Can you attach a photo of the rest of it?

Many thanks,
Robert.

Hi Kalina,

These hastily decorated pottery rooster bowls have always intrigued me. They are examples of minyao or everyday pottery and yet they also have a reputation for being used for special occasions, feasts and weddings and the like, usually to serve the opening course of the banquet, as the rooster is, naturally, responsible for starting the day by crowing at dawn.

They originated in south China in the provinces of Guangdong & Fujian where plantains grow. Those crudely drawn plants- along with the rooster- are plantain leaves and the spiky orange/red blossoms are safflower.

As for the age of yours, it does look like it's an old one. They are always tricky to date, but I would say no newer than early 20th century and very possibly as old as late 19th century.

Value wise, these were made in such enormous quantities, they never achieve very high prices. This is one of the better ones and would sell on line or at auction in the $30 - $50 range, which would give it a full retail/replacement/insurance value of $100.

As far as the inscription goes, it's written so sloppily (dare I say in chicken scratch!) it's illegible to me and may even be in faux script by an illiterate hand as was often the case in the small provincial potteries that produced them.

Hope this helps!

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Thank you Robert my travel agent in China and dear friend told me it says love forever which would tie right into your theory it was used at a wedding. I get excited when I see a long response from you because I know there's going to be a good story and a little humor. Which there was. This bowl is moving to a safer Place away from Nisse because the history behind it is invaluable to me. I would love to have a phone consult with you. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that. I purchased a very intricate old scroll and I am hoping when it arrives in the mail we could talk let me know if that's a possibility thank you. by the way the store with the Tang statue was closed yesterday I am waiting until they open today to give them a jingle. Many of our antique shops are not open on Mondays here I think it is a slow day for them.

Hope you managed to scoop up the roof tile figural! That would be quite a trophy.

Meanwhile, thanks for the interesting snippet from your Chinese friend about the inscription. I will certainly take their word that that's what it says, it must be in some local simplified script, I can only make out two of the characters.

It could be:

一个永远

"One forever!" which is much the same.

Have a great evening!

Robert.

The shop closed for the winter..its in the thumb of wisconsin..door county...many shops don't open in winter as the tourist season is in warmer weather! I sent them a Facebook message but probably won't know til may when the snowbirds as we call them...return. I have a tickler in my calendar!! Ill try to do a phone call with u when the scroll arrives...hope that would be ok��

That's so disappointing! but you may be able to get them to open up for one last sale before hibernation!

I have a 2 hr window of opportunity to buy an Exquisite Jade carving wondering if you are available?
I sent the photos in a different question